* [Caml-list] ANNOUNCE: pagoda core foundation cf-0.0
@ 2004-01-01 21:10 james woodyatt
From: james woodyatt @ 2004-01-01 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Trade

everyone--

Happy New Year!  I am pleased to announce the long-delayed premiere
release of the core foundation library from my personal Pagoda project.

Highlighted features include:

- Functional streams and stream processors (extended).
- Functional bootstrapped skew-binomial heap.
- Functional red-black binary tree (associative array).
- Functional sets based on red-black binary tree.
- Functional real-time catenable deque.
- Functional LL(x) parsing using state-exception monad.
- Functional lazy deterministic finite automaton (DFA).
- Functional lexical analyzer (using lazy DFA and monadic parser).
- Functional substring list manipulation (message buffer chains).
- Gregorian calendar date manipulation.
- Standard time manipulation.
- System time in Temps Atomique Internationale (TAI).
- Unicode transcoding.
- Extended socket interface (supports IPv6).
- Universal resource identifier (URI) manipulation.
- I/O event multiplexing (with Unix.select).

This library was developed on Mac OS X 10.2 and 10.3.  Some porting may
be required to use it under Linux or another POSIX-like environment.
The extended socket interface and I/O multiplexing may need extensive
porting to use under WIN32.

Choose either of the following two links to download the source
(depending on your preferred compressor):

	<http://www.wetware.com/jhw/src/pagoda/cf-0.0.tar.bz2>
	<http://www.wetware.com/jhw/src/pagoda/cf-0.0.tar.gz>

The reference documentation is generated with ocamldoc, and it is
available online at this location:

	<http://www.wetware.com/jhw/src/pagoda/doc/cf/>

The source code for this library is released under the two-clause
BSD-style license.  I invite the Caml team at INRIA to consider lifting
some or all of this library into their Objective Caml distribution.

--
j h woodyatt <jhw@wetware.com>

* Re: [Caml-list] ANNOUNCE: pagoda core foundation cf-0.0
@ 2004-01-01 23:24 ` Sylvain LE GALL
From: Sylvain LE GALL @ 2004-01-01 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: james woodyatt; +Cc: The Trade

On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 01:10:29PM -0800, james woodyatt wrote:
> everyone--
>
> Happy New Year!  I am pleased to announce the long-delayed premiere
> release of the core foundation library from my personal Pagoda project.
>
> Highlighted features include:
>
> - Functional streams and stream processors (extended).
> - Functional bootstrapped skew-binomial heap.
> - Functional red-black binary tree (associative array).
> - Functional sets based on red-black binary tree.
> - Functional real-time catenable deque.
> - Functional LL(x) parsing using state-exception monad.
> - Functional lazy deterministic finite automaton (DFA).
> - Functional lexical analyzer (using lazy DFA and monadic parser).
> - Functional substring list manipulation (message buffer chains).
> - Gregorian calendar date manipulation.
> - Standard time manipulation.
> - System time in Temps Atomique Internationale (TAI).
> - Unicode transcoding.
> - Extended socket interface (supports IPv6).
> - Universal resource identifier (URI) manipulation.
> - I/O event multiplexing (with Unix.select).
>
> This library was developed on Mac OS X 10.2 and 10.3.  Some porting may
> be required to use it under Linux or another POSIX-like environment.
> The extended socket interface and I/O multiplexing may need extensive
> porting to use under WIN32.
>
> Choose either of the following two links to download the source
> (depending on your preferred compressor):
>
> 	<http://www.wetware.com/jhw/src/pagoda/cf-0.0.tar.bz2>
> 	<http://www.wetware.com/jhw/src/pagoda/cf-0.0.tar.gz>
>
> The reference documentation is generated with ocamldoc, and it is
> available online at this location:
>
> 	<http://www.wetware.com/jhw/src/pagoda/doc/cf/>
>
> The source code for this library is released under the two-clause
> BSD-style license.  I invite the Caml team at INRIA to consider lifting
> some or all of this library into their Objective Caml distribution.

Hello,

Just a few question :

Does this library replace IOX ? ( i have made a little package of it for
debian and i don't have yet released... maybe i could directly use this
library rather than IOX )

What is pagoda project ?

Thanks
Kind regard
Sylvain LE GALL

* Re: [Caml-list] ANNOUNCE: pagoda core foundation cf-0.0
@ 2004-01-02  1:00   ` james woodyatt
From: james woodyatt @ 2004-01-02  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sylvain LE GALL; +Cc: The Trade

On 01 Jan 2004, at 15:24, Sylvain LE GALL wrote:

> Does this library replace IOX ? ( i have made a little package of it
> for
> debian and i don't have yet released... maybe i could directly use this
> library rather than IOX )

It does not 'replace' Iox, but the fact is I haven't worked on
improving Iox in quite some time.  I didn't like the semantics of the
Iox library after I started trying to build complicated components with
it.

So I went back to the drawing board, and looked at more things that
others have done-- particularly in the area of using functional
programming techniques for interactive applications.  I carefully
studied Thomas Hallgren's and Magnus Carlsson's Ph.D. thesis on the
Fudget system in Haskell.  (See
<http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~hallgren/Thesis/> for details.)  I've been
experimenting around that for several months now, and I'm pretty sure I
like my new approach over the old one.

I quickly discovered, however, that I needed a core foundation of
miscellaneous code that didn't really belong in the I/O component
framework itself.  That core foundation is what you now see in this
release.  (I decided I needed to get some code published before it
started to grow mold on it and die.)

In addition to the core foundation, I am currently working on several
other libraries that are all part of my Pagoda project:

- Iom	a replacement for Iox built with Cf_gadget and Cf_socket.
- Mime	parsing/emitting MIME entities and content-transfer encodings
- Xml	yet another wrapper around Expat, plus some glue for Cf parsers
- Beep	a general implementation of RFC 3080 and RFC 3081 using Iom

These are all in various states of unreleasable incompleteness.
Though, the Iom, Mime and Xml libraries are fairly close (they just
need reference documentation).

I also plan to write a DNS resolver for Iom.  I hope to support
Multicast DNS with it too, i.e. Rendezvous.  I also want to write a
RADIUS client, and I will need a good wrapper around OpenSSL if I'm
going to implement the required TLS profile for RFC 3081.  Eventually,
I'd like to have a nice implementation of RFC 3341, 3342 and 3343 using
Iom.

> What is pagoda project ?

It's a project I fart around with in my limited spare time, mostly for
research purposes.  The Iox library came from research early in my
Pagoda project.  I called it "Pagoda" because that was where I started
stacking up all my bits and bobs of componentry that I hope will be
useful in building distributed network service applications.  In
actuality, it appears to be a dark, mysterious tower filled with shiny
bits of seemingly useless artifacts whose guardians regard as sacred
relics.  A pagoda.

--
j h woodyatt <jhw@wetware.com>
markets are only free to the people who own them.