* Re: [Caml-list] Moderation
@ 2002-10-18 19:40 Ishmael Yavitz
From: Ishmael Yavitz @ 2002-10-18 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I wasn't going to get involved.  I really wasn't.  But I love
OCaml, I know how much hard work is involved (a sincere thank-
you to all of the INRIA group!) and I don't want to see this
group descend into a flamewar.

>You are aware that there already exist a ocaml-beginers list, do you ?
>Also this guy did crosspost to it, but the beginers list is
>subscription only though.

Thaddeus L. Olczyk also cross-posted to pragprog@yahoogroups.com,
the "Pragmatic Programmer"'s list.

Thaddeus L. Olczyk is a member of many lists on the internet,
and frequently he posts messages that erupt in similar
discussions.  For references, see below my signature.

Please stop responding to the thread.  The questions he has
raised have already been answered several times.

Friendly,

Ishmael Yavitz

on comp.lang.ruby:

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/~poffice/news2/comp.lang.ruby/20258

on comp.lang.ml:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Olczyk+group:comp.lang.ml&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&selm=amnjbb%24aak%241%40cantaloupe.srv.cs.cmu.edu&rnum=1

another from comp.lang.ml:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&frame=right&th=f052755dde29b479&seekm=amdh4q%243n0%241%40cantaloupe.srv.cs.cmu.edu#link10

or, simply search Google Groups:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&q=Thaddeus+Olczyk+rude

* Re: [Caml-list] Moderation
@ 2002-10-28 19:33                 ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2002-10-28 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

* Alan Schmitt (schmitta@cis.upenn.edu) wrote:
> ;-)
>
> Here you go:
>
> http://pauillac.inria.fr/~aschmitt/cwn/
>
> It's just a directory with all the text files. If someone knows a nice
> and easy way to transform text files to html (mostly to make the links
> as real ones), please tell me so.

Following the gentle push from a member of the caml team, I did a bit of
formatting. You'll find at the same address the htmlized archive. If
something doesn't look good, let me know (I just used the following vim
script:
fun! CwnHtml()
  execute("%s/>/\\>/g")
  execute("%s/</\\&lt;/g")
  execute("%s+\\(http://[^][(){}<>\" \t]*\\)+<a href=\"\\1\">\\1</a>+g")
  execute("w! %<.html")
endfun
)

Alan

--
The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool happen.

* Re: [Caml-list] Moderation
@ 2002-10-28 15:40               ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2002-10-28 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Didier Remy; +Cc: Michael Vanier, caml-list

;-)

@ 2002-10-25  7:35             ` Didier Remy
From: Didier Remy @ 2002-10-25  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Vanier, caml-list

@ 2002-10-22 21:55           ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2002-10-22 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Vanier; +Cc: caml-list

* Michael Vanier (mvanier@cs.caltech.edu) wrote:

> I tried accessing this, but was asked to subscribe at a fee.  Is there any
> way to view the Caml Weekly News for free?

Yes, you need to wait for a week (lwn was broke two months ago, so
instead of calling it a day, they decided that their weekly publication
would only be accessible for a fee for a week, then freely accessible).
Or you can ask me to put them online.

Best,

Alan

--

@ 2002-10-22 20:48         ` Michael Vanier
From: Michael Vanier @ 2002-10-22 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: schmitta; +Cc: caml-list, bcpierce

I tried accessing this, but was asked to subscribe at a fee.  Is there any
way to view the Caml Weekly News for free?

Mike

@ 2002-10-22 14:56       ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2002-10-22 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: bcpierce

@ 2002-10-22 14:21     ` Benjamin C. Pierce
From: Benjamin C. Pierce @ 2002-10-22 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brogoff; +Cc: caml-list

The main issue I see with the caml-list is not lack of moderation: like
everyone, I'd prefer to have the spam and trolls filtered a bit better,
but there's really not that much of that stuff.  The more serious problem
is the ever-increasing volume of *interesting* messages!

OCaml is a central tool in my work (right up there with Emacs and TeX
:-), and I feel it's quite important for me to stay on top of what's
happening in the community, participate in discussions of new features,
learn about dark corners and subtle gochas, find out about plans for the
future, etc.  But lately it's been getting to be a significant burden
even to scan message headers -- on some days, caml-list accounts for a
third of all the (non-spam) mail I receive.

Since the problem is essentially too much of a good thing, it's hard to
see what could be a complete solution.  But I think there are several
little steps that can help.  Having a separate caml-announce list is a
good step, and I hope people get (even more) in the habit of using it to
let others know about useful stuff.  I also wonder whether someone
(perhaps Alan Schmitt, who does something similar already?) could try
posting occasional "minutes" of the discussions on the list, so that
people like me could check in and see what's been going on without trying
to read every message.

Regards,

        Benjamin

* Re: [Caml-list] Moderation
@ 2002-10-21 17:21   ` brogoff
From: brogoff @ 2002-10-21 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Xavier Leroy wrote:
> > Is there any chance that it may be restored? It's removal has been
> > disastrous
>
> I miss moderation too, but we won't find a volunteer willing to
> moderate the list (too time consuming!), at least within the Caml
> team.

There are other possibilities, such as having a group of moderators taking
messages out of a set and thus spreading the work. I assume the Caml team
considered this and decided it wasn't worth the effort. I'll urge you to
reconsider, but just once, since I don't want to start a moderation
meta flamefest.

Others posters have suggested even more segmentation of the Caml lists, such
as industrial vs academic, but I think that's a really bad idea. Unlike some
ill-behaved "industrial" programmers, I don't see this distinction as being
a meaningful or interesting one. The problem as I see it is a decline in
SNR (signal to noise ratio for the acronym impaired ;) since the end of
moderation. A large part of that is probably beginner's questions, but the
increasing number of hostile flames is ominous.

Perhaps, viewed optimistically, this is the inevitable result of Caml's
increasing popularity.

-- Brian

* Re: [Caml-list] Moderation
@ 2002-10-21 14:09   ` Alessandro Baretta
From: Alessandro Baretta @ 2002-10-21 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: caml-list

Xavier Leroy wrote:

> Majordomo supports "selective moderation", though: messages matching
> certain patterns require moderator approval.  This possibility has
> been put to good use (for the first time) against Mr. Olczyk.
> There are limits to the levels of cluelessness, aggressiveness and
> trolling one can reach on a public forum.

I was about to ask that he be killfiled from the list... Not
politically correct, but practical. Good old Machiavelli...

Alex

* Re: [Caml-list] Moderation
@ 2002-10-21 13:47 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2002-10-21 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brogoff; +Cc: caml-list

> Is there any chance that it may be restored? It's removal has been
> disastrous

I miss moderation too, but we won't find a volunteer willing to
moderate the list (too time consuming!), at least within the Caml
team.

Majordomo supports "selective moderation", though: messages matching
certain patterns require moderator approval.  This possibility has
been put to good use (for the first time) against Mr. Olczyk.
There are limits to the levels of cluelessness, aggressiveness and
trolling one can reach on a public forum.

My only advice to readers of this list would be to not feed the
trolls: don't even bother replying, or do it privately.

- Xavier Leroy

* Re: [Caml-list] Moderation
@ 2002-10-21  7:01     ` Maxence Guesdon
From: Maxence Guesdon @ 2002-10-21  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mattias Waldau; +Cc: caml-list

Hi,

> Moderation is to much work, and therefor it was removed.
> Why not just a new announce mailing list, where only
> announcements of new packages and new releases are allowed.
>
> The only really interesting entries lately was
>
> mldonkey
> ocaml-soap
> icfp-result

Such an announce list already exists : caml-announce@inria.fr
The messages posted to this address are received by all caml-list subscribers, with the [caml-announce]... header. Of course, someone has to send the message (usually the author of the software).

--
Maxence Guesdon

* Re: [Caml-list] Moderation
@ 2002-10-19  6:28         ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2002-10-19  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Cannasse; +Cc: Sven Luther, Georges Brun-Cottan, caml-list

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 09:33:40PM +0200, Nicolas Cannasse wrote:
> > You are aware that there already exist a ocaml-beginers list, do you ?
>
> Yes I am, thanks Sven :)
>
> Actually I was just pointing at the fact that the "unofficial" ( not INRIA
> supported ) aspect of this list was perhaps causing it to be less used than
> it should.

Ah, ok, ..., yes, i agree with you on this, but maybe two lists is
enough, no need to proliferate more, i think, as for industrial users, i
guess the consortium has his own list or something such ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther

* Re: [Caml-list] Moderation
@ 2002-10-19  0:58     ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2002-10-19  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mattias Waldau; +Cc: caml-list

* Mattias Waldau (mattias.waldau@abc.se) wrote:
> Moderation is to much work, and therefor it was removed.
> Why not just a new announce mailing list, where only
> announcements of new packages and new releases are allowed.
>
> The only really interesting entries lately was
>
> mldonkey
> ocaml-soap
> icfp-result

You might then be interested in Caml Weekly News ... It's a weekly
summary of what I (subjectively) find objectively interesting on the
mailing list (all announcement, and some insightful discussion). It's
sent to the Linux Weekly News for inclusion in the development page, but
I also bcc people who ask me. So don't hesitate to ask ;-)

Best,

Alan

--

@ 2002-10-19  0:11 ` Stefano Zacchiroli
From: Stefano Zacchiroli @ 2002-10-19  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 08:54:20AM -0700, brogoff@speakeasy.net wrote:
> Is there any chance that it may be restored? It's removal has been disastrous,
> and I say that as someone who has had postings rejected.

I disagree with moderation: it adds a lot of work for the moderator and
a possible lot of additional delay for readers.
Spam isn't a problem for this list and flamable/useless/off_topic
messages are really rare.

The hugeness reached by threads is another question and is related to
the actual size of the ocaml community, in such sense even a moderator
can hardly solve the question, expecially because I don't want a
moderator to cut off a thread because it is getting too big!

Cheers.

--
Stefano Zacchiroli - undergraduate student of CS @ Univ. Bologna, Italy
zack@cs.unibo.it | ICQ# 33538863 | http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro

* Re: [Caml-list] Moderation
@ 2002-10-18 19:33       ` Nicolas Cannasse
From: Nicolas Cannasse @ 2002-10-18 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Luther; +Cc: Georges Brun-Cottan, caml-list

> You are aware that there already exist a ocaml-beginers list, do you ?

Yes I am, thanks Sven :)

Actually I was just pointing at the fact that the "unofficial" ( not INRIA
supported ) aspect of this list was perhaps causing it to be less used than
it should.

Nicolas Cannasse

* Re: [Caml-list] Moderation
@ 2002-10-18 19:03     ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2002-10-18 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Cannasse; +Cc: Georges Brun-Cottan, caml-list

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 06:42:35PM +0200, Nicolas Cannasse wrote:
> > >  Is there any chance that it may be restored? It's removal has been
> disastrous,
> > >  and I say that as someone who has had postings rejected.
> > >
> > >  -- Brian
> >
> > I support this motion.
> >

> Moderating is perhaps not the best solution.
> Actually the main problem is due to the community growth with many newbies
> who need support.
> In order to increase the signal/noise ratio, perhaps a mailling list split
> should be done.
>
> Here's a proposal for a split :
> - general ( support , any post welcomed, of course many noise )
> - beginners ( support for newbies )
> - academic ( FP / algorithms / langage features discussions => something
> like the previous moderated list )
> - industrial ( for people interested in developing the industrial usage of

You are aware that there already exist a ocaml-beginers list, do you ?
Also this guy did crosspost to it, but the beginers list is subscription
only though.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Friendly,

Sven Luther

* RE: [Caml-list] Moderation
@ 2002-10-18 16:50   ` Mattias Waldau
From: Mattias Waldau @ 2002-10-18 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Moderation is to much work, and therefor it was removed.
Why not just a new announce mailing list, where only
announcements of new packages and new releases are allowed.

The only really interesting entries lately was

mldonkey
ocaml-soap
icfp-result

/mattias

* Re: [Caml-list] Moderation
@ 2002-10-18 16:42   ` Nicolas Cannasse
From: Nicolas Cannasse @ 2002-10-18 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Georges Brun-Cottan, caml-list

> >  Is there any chance that it may be restored? It's removal has been
disastrous,
> >  and I say that as someone who has had postings rejected.
> >
> >  -- Brian
>
> I support this motion.

Moderating is perhaps not the best solution.
Actually the main problem is due to the community growth with many newbies
who need support.
In order to increase the signal/noise ratio, perhaps a mailling list split
should be done.

Here's a proposal for a split :
- general ( support , any post welcomed, of course many noise )
- beginners ( support for newbies )
- academic ( FP / algorithms / langage features discussions => something
like the previous moderated list )
- industrial ( for people interested in developing the industrial usage of
ocaml )

Of course such a splitting will only work if it comes with a real WILL and
label from the official team, and proper advertising on the Caml
website(s) - the "unofficial"aspect of the current beginners list is perhaps
the reason why people use the general list.

Nicolas Cannasse

* Re: [Caml-list] Moderation
@ 2002-10-18 16:03 ` Georges Brun-Cottan
From: Georges Brun-Cottan @ 2002-10-18 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

>  Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 08:54:20 -0700 (PDT)
>  From: brogoff@speakeasy.net
>  Sender: owner-caml-list@pauillac.inria.fr
>
>  Is there any chance that it may be restored? It's removal has been disastrous,
>  and I say that as someone who has had postings rejected.
>
>  -- Brian

I support this motion.

-- Georges Brun-Cottan

* [Caml-list] Moderation