* [Caml-list] R-Trees in OCaml?
@ 2003-02-22 23:33 Oliver Bandel
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2003-02-22 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

I have asked google, but did not found implementations
of R-Trees in Ocaml. There is Java-Stuff and C/C++
stuff, but nothing in Ocaml.

I'm interested in using R-Trees (and R+ -Trees).
If there is no implementation, I would write one.

But if I can use a library, I would try to use it.

Any ideas, where to find such stuff?

TIA,
  Oliver

* Re: [Caml-list] R-Trees in OCaml?
@ 2003-02-23 18:39 ` Alessandro Baretta
From: Alessandro Baretta @ 2003-02-23 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Bandel; +Cc: caml-list

Oliver Bandel wrote:
> I'm interested in using R-Trees (and R+ -Trees).
> If there is no implementation, I would write one.

Try looking at Baire.

http://www.edite-de-paris.com.fr/~fernandz/Caml/Baire/index.html

Alex

* Re: [Caml-list] R-Trees in OCaml?
@ 2003-02-24 11:47   ` Diego Olivier Fernandez Pons
From: Diego Olivier Fernandez Pons @ 2003-02-24 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml-list; +Cc: Oliver Bandel

    Bonjour,

> Oliver Bandel wrote:
> > I'm interested in using R-Trees (and R+ -Trees).
> > If there is no implementation, I would write one.
>
> Try looking at Baire.
>
> http://www.edite-de-paris.com.fr/~fernandz/Caml/Baire/index.html

Baire does not contain R-trees, I saw a survey of the ACM on the
subject that could be interesting. Feel free to contact me (inclusion
of your code in Baire, join work on the subject ...)

        Diego Olivier

* Re: [Caml-list] R-Trees in OCaml?
@ 2003-02-24 13:12   ` Diego Olivier Fernandez Pons
From: Diego Olivier Fernandez Pons @ 2003-02-24 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml-list; +Cc: Oliver Bandel

    Bonjour,

> Oliver Bandel wrote:
> > I'm interested in using R-Trees (and R+ -Trees).
> > If there is no implementation, I would write one.

I found in ACM Computing Surveys june 1998 Volume 30 number 2
'Multidimensional Acces Methods' V. Gaede and O. Gunther p 170-231

The survey covers :
- B trees
- k-d trees
- bsp trees
- bd trees
- Grid files
- LSD trees
- Buddy trees
- Bang files
- hB trees
- R* trees
- P trees
- SKD trees
- GDB trees
- R+ trees
- Cell trees
- Files

I am only familiar in all this list with k-d trees and B-trees.

The actually avaible version of Baire does not implement any of these,
it only contains some 2d range trees (unbalanced or AVL) and cartesian
trees (which can handle 2d data structure).

The current sources implement B-trees by binary search trees. There
aren't any multiway trees (tries are implemented by ternary AVL trees,
following Huet's Zen library, and JCF tries, not by multiway trees).

Then I am not sure Baire will be of much help for the moment.
I will try to give you as much support as I can. Do not hesitate to
ask for new features/implementations.

        Diego Olivier