* RE: [Caml-list] windows + gtk
@ 2002-07-25  6:14 Croy, Stuart
From: Croy, Stuart @ 2002-07-25  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jacques Garrigue'; +Cc: caml-list

Is this binary GTK distribution going to include working threads under
Windows? If so, is that with cygwin or MSVC?
Yes, impatient, I know, but I'm about ready to get the debugger out on the
current version... Looking forward to 3.05. Keep up the good work, guys.

Thanks,
Stuart

From: "Kontra, Gergely" <kgergely@mlabdial.hit.bme.hu>

> >> I'm new to (o)caml, and just wonder: is it possible to make windows exe
> >> file, which uses gtk?
> >> Is gtk available for windows anyway?
> [Answer: instructions]
>
> I just don't know, wheter 3.04 is good or not.
> BTW I've tried to compile 3.04 under Cygwin, which failed:

Wait a bit for 3.05, and enjoy:
* many bug fixes in windows version
  (including fully functional ocamlbrowser)
* binary distributions for lablGL and lablgtk
* link bytecode applications without any C compiler (thanks to dlls)

So, please, just wait about one or two weeks to be happy :-)

    Jacques Garrigue

* RE: [Caml-list] windows + gtk
@ 2002-07-25 15:10 ` Jacques Garrigue
From: Jacques Garrigue @ 2002-07-25 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stuart.Croy; +Cc: caml-list

From: "Croy, Stuart" <Stuart.Croy@gs.com>

> Is this binary GTK distribution going to include working threads under
> Windows? If so, is that with cygwin or MSVC?
> Yes, impatient, I know, but I'm about ready to get the debugger out on the
> current version... Looking forward to 3.05. Keep up the good work, guys.

Good question. I hadn't really checked, and expected msvc threads
to somehow work. However, it seems that while you can write threaded
applications using lablgtk, you cannot call gtk functions from other
threads (this deadlocks). My intuition is that the windows version of
gtk enables internal mutexes by default, which is not the case for the
unix version. But I didn't check, and I'm not sure I will be able to
solve that before the next version of lablgtk.
You can still do as ocamlbrowser: use threads, but keep everything UI
related in the main thread (i.e., use GtkThread.main as main loop, but
not GtkThread.start). A bit painful, but it works.

For cygwin, I believe ocaml itself doesn't support threads on that
platform. Am I wrong ?

          Jacques Garrigue

* [Caml-list] windows + gtk (mingw compilation)
@ 2002-08-02 16:29   ` Kontra, Gergely
From: Kontra, Gergely @ 2002-08-02 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi!

Now I've tried to compile the mingw version.
I follow the instructions (a little tricky, need cygwin), but my compile
failed:

cd lib ; make -f Makefile.nt  installopt
make[2]: Entering directory
`/home/unknown/mingw/ocaml-3.05/otherlibs/labltk/lib
'
mkdir -p C:/ocamlmgw/lib/labltk
cp labltk.cmxa labltk.a C:/ocamlmgw/lib/labltk
cp: cannot stat `labltk.a': No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [installopt] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/unknown/mingw/ocaml-3.05/otherlibs/labltk/lib'

make[1]: *** [installopt] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/unknown/mingw/ocaml-3.05/otherlibs/labltk'
make: *** [installopt] Error 2

unknown@SPEEDLIGHT ~/mingw/ocaml-3.05
$

Has anybody any idea what's going on?

Gergo

ps: Is it for the beginner's list? I don't know, but last time I got
    here a perfect answer

+-[Kontra, Gergely @ Budapest University of Technology and Economics]-+
|         Email: kgergely@mcl.hu,  kgergely@turul.eet.bme.hu          |
+-------"Olyan langesz vagyok, hogy poroltoval kellene jarnom!"-------+