* [Caml-list] Announcing: CocOCaml (initial release)
@ 2003-02-24 20:09 William D. Neumann
From: William D. Neumann @ 2003-02-24 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-announce

I am pleased to announce the initial release of CocOCaml, a Mac OS X
wrapper for the OCaml toplevel.

Inspired by the Toplevel wrapper that comes with the Windows distribution
of OCaml, as well as Steve Harris's Cocoa Top Level application[1],
CocOCaml addresses most of the problems one encounters while running
the Toplevel in a Mac OS X Terminal window.  It does this by providing
the user with an area to easily edit any commands prior to sending them to
the interpreter and a command history area that stores all of the commands
previously sent to the interpreter.  The command history area makes it
easy to step through the prior commands and copy them into the command
entry area for additional editing before sending it back to the
interpreter.

For screen shots, additional information, or downloading the application,
head on over to:
     http://www.cs.unm.edu/~wneumann/cococaml

If you have any questions that can't be answered by the materials at the
web site, feel free to e-mail me.

Requirements:
   Mac OS X 10.2 (might work on earlier releases, but has not been tested)
   A previously installed OCaml distribution
   Knowledge of the path to your OCaml Toplevel executable

Thank you,
William D. Neumann

[1]  CocOCaml was originally intended to be a fix for some of the problems
I was having with Cocoa Top Level, such as not being able to send a
command to the interpreter properly if the cursor was not at the end of
the current command.  However, about two hours into looking through Mr.
Harris's source code and trying to patch it, I decided this would be a
good opportunity to learn a bit more about Cocoa programming by writing my
own app, hence the creation of yet another application.  If you would like
to see/use Cocoa Top Level, it is available at:
http://home.att.net/~scharris/OSX/

---

"Well I could be a genius, if I just put my mind to it.
And I...I could do anything, if only I could get 'round to it.
Oh we were brought up on the space-race, now they expect you to clean toilets.
When you've seen how big the world is, how can you make do with this?
If you want me, I'll be sleeping in - sleeping in throughout these glory days."

	-- Jarvis Cocker

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-02-24 20:06 UTC | newest]