* [Caml-list] CKit for O'Caml?
@ 2003-06-06 21:28 Mary F. Fernandez
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mary F. Fernandez @ 2003-06-06 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Does anyone know if there are any O'Caml tools similar to the SML CKit
(http://www.smlnj.org/doc/ckit/).  I've searched comp.lang.ml, this
mailing list's archives and looked at "The Hump", but no luck.
In particular, I'm most interested in the C AST and pretty printer.

I hope it's OK to ask this question here!
Thanks,
Mary
--
Mary Fernandez, Principal Technical Staff Member
AT&T Labs - Research, 180 Park Ave., Room E243, Florham Park, NJ 07932-0971

* Re: [Caml-list] CKit for O'Caml?
@ 2003-06-06 21:39 ` Manos Renieris
From: Manos Renieris @ 2003-06-06 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mary F. Fernandez; +Cc: caml-list

CIL: http://manju.cs.berkeley.edu/cil/

On the humps, it's under "Interfaces with Other Languages";
and under "Lexing/Parsing".

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 05:28:26PM -0400, Mary F. Fernandez wrote:
> Does anyone know if there are any O'Caml tools similar to the SML CKit
> (http://www.smlnj.org/doc/ckit/).  I've searched comp.lang.ml, this
> mailing list's archives and looked at "The Hump", but no luck.
> In particular, I'm most interested in the C AST and pretty printer.

-- Manos

* Re: [Caml-list] CKit for O'Caml?
@ 2003-06-07 13:41 ` Jeff Henrikson
From: Jeff Henrikson @ 2003-06-07 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mary F. Fernandez; +Cc: caml-list

I use the frontc package, by Hugues Casse, which you can find in the
Caml Development Kit. (cdk)  There is an AST, parser, and pretty
printer.  My only two difficulties with it have been:

- it can't parse the ":" operator for denoting bit fields in structs.

- it took me a while to figure out how to access what I want out of the
AST.  The three constructors TYPEDEF, ONLYTYPEDEF and DECDEF have a lot
of crossover, and I never figured out exactly why, but that if I
projected these out with a filter function

   let simplify_def def =
     match def with
       (Cabs.TYPEDEF(bt0,_,vars)) -> Some (bt0,vars)
     | (Cabs.ONLYTYPEDEF(bt0,_,vars)) -> Some (bt0,vars)
     | (Cabs.DECDEF(bt0,_,vars)) -> Some (bt0,vars)
     | _ -> None;;

that I got access to the structs, unions and enums more easily.  The
messiest part of my code ended up being the "view" I wrapped around the
AST.

Jeff Henrikson

@ 2003-06-07 15:09 ` Guillaume Marceau
From: Guillaume Marceau @ 2003-06-07 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: Mary F. Fernandez

George Necula's Cil framework is solid enough to turn the Linux kernel
into a cleaned-up ast. I am not sure how easy it would be to modify the C
syntax of its parser though.

--
The only reason we don't have 1984 is 1984

- Guillaume