From: brogoff@speakeasy.net
To: "Jun.Furuse@inria.fr" <Jun.Furuse@inria.fr>
Cc: Pierre Weis <pierre.weis@inria.fr>,
	Oleg Trott <oleg_trott@columbia.edu>,
	John Max Skaller <skaller@ozemail.com.au>,
	"caml-list@inria.fr" <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: easy print and read (was: [Caml-list] Why are arithmetic functions not polymorph?)
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 23:32:41 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

On Sat, 7 Jun 2003, Jun.Furuse@inria.fr wrote:
> Yes, in this case, it is easy to tell that there is only one
> applicable typing for plus one two, that is plus : float -> float -> float.
> But in general, nubmer of type case combinations may increase quite
> easily and searching applicable typing from them becomes quite inefficient.
> Moreover, when we have recursive generic values, the search space may
> be infinite! Therefore, we must restrict the search space of type case
> combinations in some manner (otherwise, typing may never terminates).
>
> The restriciton in the G'Caml implementation is quite simple,
> therefore you may feel some inconvenience: the type of plus one two
> is not inferred automatically, for example.

Hi,
    I understand the pragmatics. If it turns out that this is painful in
practice for cases like linear algebra or numerics libraries where the
generic values are not recursive, I hope that a less restrictive rule can be
adopted. I don't think that the hacks used by other languages which have
types which throw the type checker into a loop (setting some iteration limit)
are so bad, and I think they can be applied here.

    Right now we don't have any significant practice to go on, so I think the
conservative rule is OK, since, as you point out, it is simple. It's a bit
weird that the example I posted works if the order is switched in the
declaration of "plus".

-- Brian