* [Caml-list] Arbitrarily throwing End_of_file
@ 2003-11-10  1:16 Michael Hoisie
From: Michael Hoisie @ 2003-11-10  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I have a file which is approximately 278,440 lines of text (more specifically, it is the result of doing 'ls -lAR /')

I was trying to write this relatively simple program to analyze it but it seems that End_of_file was thrown very early.

To test, it, I made a simple function:

let rec count_lines file n =
    try let str = input_line file in
    count_lines file (n + 1)
    with End_of_file -> Printf.printf "The file is %d\n lines long" n

and ran it with something like:
    let file = open_in "longfile.dat" in
    count_lines file 0

The result was 26187.

count_lines is a stripped-down version of the original function i used to analyze the file. If I used the original, it threw an End_of_file at line 23806.

I'm running 3.07+2 on FreeBSD 4.9
any suggestions?
-mike

* Re: [Caml-list] Arbitrarily throwing End_of_file
@ 2003-11-10  2:47 ` Brian Hurt
From: Brian Hurt @ 2003-11-10  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hoisie; +Cc: caml-list

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003, Michael Hoisie wrote:

> I have a file which is approximately 278,440 lines of text (more
> specifically, it is the result of doing 'ls -lAR /')

-l lists the file size in *bytes*, not lines.  Use 'wc -l longfile.dat' to
determine the number of lines.  If each line is ~10.6 bytes long
(including the EOLN) then a 278,000 byte file will be about 26,000 lines
long.  The -A means "almost all" (everything except . and ..), and the R
means recursive (list subdirectories as well).

> I was trying to write this relatively simple program to analyze it but
> it seems that End_of_file was thrown very early.
>
> To test, it, I made a simple function:
>
> let rec count_lines file n =
>     try let str = input_line file in
>     count_lines file (n + 1)
>     with End_of_file -> Printf.printf "The file is %d\n lines long" n

This function isn't tail recursive- the function's call to itself is
within a try/with block, which breaks the tail recursion.  That isn't the
problem you're hitting, but you're not far from hitting it.  I generally
hit it about 30,000 functions deep or so.  Try the following instead:

let rec count_lines file n =
    let line, eof = try (input_line file), false
                   with End_of_file -> "", true
    in
    if not eof then
        begin
            (* do something with line here *)
            count_lines file (n + 1)
        end
    else

let file = open_in "longfile.dat" in
Printf.printf "The file is %d lines long.\n" (count_lines file 0)

Note that the tail recursion is now outside of the try/with block, and
this function will work with any length file.

Brian