* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] Godi for Windows
       [not found] <fa.VCXM6ArJJ+Q7SinDVauUQpECUPY@ifi.uio.no>
@ 2012-10-15 12:03 ` Max Mouratov
From: Max Mouratov @ 2012-10-15 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fa.caml; +Cc: caml-list

On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 11:05:10 PM UTC+6, Andreas wrote:
> Dear list,
>

> This post announces the creation of a godi distribution for windows.
>

> "Wodi" differs from the official godi distribution in the following
>
> ways:
>

> - it ships binary packages for windows (32- and 64-bit builds). You
>
>   don't need to compile ocaml and often used libraries from source. For
>
>   convenience, there are also packages for often used external
>
>   c-libraries (pcre, tcl/tk, gmp, gtk, ... ).
>

> - a gtk-based gui for package management that hides the cygwin shell
>
>   and the godi console from casual users.
>

> - patched source packages and build instructions for windows.
>

> More details: http://wodi.forge.ocamlcore.org/
>

> --

Hello. The email address provided on the official WODI page does not work ("DNS Error: Domain name not found"), so I write here.

I've tried to port some of my OCaml projects from Linux to WODI and can report
that almost everything works beautifully out of the box (unlike with the
official OCaml installer for Windows). The package manager is an extremely
convenient tool which saved me a lot of manual effort (since neither odb nor
opam works flawlessly with the official installer).

The following packages seem to work without a hitch: batteries, easy-format,
menhir, ounit, pcre, sexplib, type_conv, ulex.

The zip package has a problem -- it lacks the necessary stub library
(dllzip_stubs.dll). I had to build it myself using the sources of camlzip at
http://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/camlzip/.

I was also able to build, install and use the following libraries by
Martin Jambon:
- atd: http://oss.wink.com/atd/
- atdgen: http://oss.wink.com/atdgen/
- biniou: http://mjambon.com/biniou.html
- yojson: http://mjambon.com/yojson.html
- cppo: http://mjambon.com/ocaml.html

As well as pa_monad: http://www.cas.mcmaster.ca/~carette/pa_monad/

I suggest that these libraries be added to the WODI package database.

Many thanks for providing the most useful OCaml distribution for Windows.
Cheers!

* [Caml-list] Re: [ANN] Godi for Windows
@ 2012-10-15 20:22   ` Andreas
From: Andreas @ 2012-10-15 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 05:03:34 -0700 (PDT)
Max Mouratov <mmouratov@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello. The email address provided on the official WODI page does not
> work ("DNS Error: Domain name not found"), so I write here.

Ok,
I've replaced the domain now.

> The following packages seem to work without a hitch: batteries,
> easy-format, menhir, ounit, pcre, sexplib, type_conv, ulex.

Fine :)

> The zip package has a problem -- it lacks the necessary stub library
> (dllzip_stubs.dll). I had to build it myself using the sources of
> camlzip at http://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/camlzip/.

godi-zip is indeed broken. I've updated godi-zip to version 1.05 and
hopefully fixed it.

> I was also able to build, install and use the following libraries by
> Martin Jambon:
> - atd: http://oss.wink.com/atd/
> - atdgen: http://oss.wink.com/atdgen/
> - biniou: http://mjambon.com/biniou.html
> - yojson: http://mjambon.com/yojson.html
> - cppo: http://mjambon.com/ocaml.html

Martin Jambon has already created (godi-) build instructions for all
these libraries, however they were not updated to the newest version
and so didn't compile.
I have now updated them. If Martin Jambon didn't change his makefiles
in a fundamental way, the new packages should work.

cu,
 Andreas

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: [ANN] Godi for Windows
@ 2012-10-15 20:55     ` Edgar Friendly
From: Edgar Friendly @ 2012-10-15 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 10/15/2012 4:22 PM, Andreas wrote:
> godi-zip is indeed broken. I've updated godi-zip to version 1.05 and
> hopefully fixed it.

On this note, I realize that I have not announced to this list that
camlzip has released version 1.05 with findlib support (and an official
findlib package name).  There are no changes to the library code, just
an extra line in the makefile for installing with findlib and a simple
META file.

E.

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] Godi for Windows
@ 2012-10-15 11:09 ` Romain Bardou
From: Romain Bardou @ 2012-10-15 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas; +Cc: caml-list

Le 10/10/2012 18:52, Andreas a écrit :
> Dear list,
>
> This post announces the creation of a godi distribution for windows.
>
> "Wodi" differs from the official godi distribution in the following
> ways:
>
> - it ships binary packages for windows (32- and 64-bit builds). You
>    don't need to compile ocaml and often used libraries from source. For
>    convenience, there are also packages for often used external
>    c-libraries (pcre, tcl/tk, gmp, gtk, ... ).
>
> - a gtk-based gui for package management that hides the cygwin shell
>    and the godi console from casual users.
>
> - patched source packages and build instructions for windows.
>

> More details: http://wodi.forge.ocamlcore.org/

Hello,

The e-mail address at the end of the page
(godi(at)ml(dot)ignorelist(dot)com) seems not to work, I had a failure
notice :
   Sorry, I couldn't find any host named ml.ignorelist.com. (#5.1.2)

Any plan on supporting OCamlSDL? This summer I wanted to teach OCaml to
a friend by having him program video games (for motivation's sake) but I
was not able to compile it. So if Wodi supports it eventually, it would
be a selling point for me. Although it's probably not your job to
maintain such a package ;)

Cheers,

--
Romain Bardou