* [Caml-list] a question about compiler-libs and Ocaml toplevel
@ 2018-03-11 10:49 Matej Košík
From: Matej Košík @ 2018-03-11 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

When I load compiler-libs

  #require "compiler-libs.common";;

then I can use various modules contained therein, but not "Location".
(which is referenced from "Parsetree")

Something like:

  open Location;;

or

  Location.none;;

fails with:

  Error: Unbound module Location

It seems that I am missng something very basic.

Why can't "Location" be used when "compiler-libs.common" package was loaded?
(While other modules (which use "Location") can be used in the toplevel just fine.)

* Re: [Caml-list] a question about compiler-libs and Ocaml toplevel
@ 2018-03-12  9:24 ` Matej Košík
From: Matej Košík @ 2018-03-12  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Sorry, the correct way to reproduce the problem is this:

  In an OCaml toplevel

    (* following the advice in the documentation
     * http://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/manual-ocaml/parsing.html *)

    # #load "compiler-libs/ocamlcommon.cma";;

    (* Now, if I try to actually use some of the modules that are supposed
     * to be provided by this library always leads to a failure. For example: *)

    # open Parsetree;;
    Error: Unbound module Parsetree

I'd like to ask if this is a bug or I just don't understand something.

(Btw. loading compiler-libs via ocamlfind mechanisms works fine. No surprises there.)

* Re: [Caml-list] a question about compiler-libs and Ocaml toplevel
@ 2018-03-12 10:15   ` Leo White
From: Leo White @ 2018-03-12 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Aren't you just missing:

  #directory "+compiler-libs";;

to make the cmi files available?

Regards,

Leo

@ 2018-03-12 10:46     ` Matej Košík
From: Matej Košík @ 2018-03-12 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 03/12/18 11:15, Leo White wrote:
> Aren't you just missing:
>
>   #directory "+compiler-libs";;
>
> to make the cmi files available?

Yes. That worked. Thank you.

I always forget that when I #load a thing, it does not mean that I can actually start using it.

(If *.cmi files do not happen to be "in the path", then I will just get not super helpful message:

   Error: Unbound module XY

 which is the same one as if I havened #loaded anything.
)

Sorry.