* [Caml-list] Integer exponentiation and **
@ 2017-01-24  8:23 Yann Salmon
From: Yann Salmon @ 2017-01-24  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

I am wondering why OCaml does not have an integer exponentiation
operator and why the floating point exponentiation operator is ( ** )
and not ( **. ).

Any ideas ?

--
Cordialement,
Yann Salmon

Informatique
MPSI, PCSI, MP*, PC*
Descartes - Tours

<http://pro.yannsalmon.fr/>

* Re: [Caml-list] Integer exponentiation and **
@ 2017-01-25 10:42 ` Jacques-Henri Jourdan
From: Jacques-Henri Jourdan @ 2017-01-25 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

Concerning integer exponentiation: integers in OCaml are bounded, and
not meant to compute over large integers. This means that exponentiation
will in practice overflow very quickly, and, anyway, there is no
hardware support for exponentiation (meaning that it would be slower
than expected). There are two alternatives : if the base is 2, you can
use bitwise shifts, and, in any case, you can use a large integers
library such as ZArith (1).

Concerning the syntax for floating point exponentiation: I agree that it
is not coherent. I guess that's a matter of taste (as always with
syntax): some prefer typing 2 characters instead of 3. I honestly do not
know if there is any other reason.You can still define the other syntax:

--
JH

(1) https://github.com/ocaml/Zarith