* [Caml-list] C <-> OCaml questions
@ 2002-06-17  9:35 Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2002-06-17  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

  I'm currently writing OCaml bindings for some C libraries and
  I would like to get some details about how to convert C pointers
  to OCaml types.

  1/
  Let's assume we have the following C function:

    Bar * Foo(char *S);

  In OCaml, I would like to convert the (Bar *) type to

   type bar

  Question: how do I perform the conversion? Should I allocate
  a bloc of size sizeof(Bar *), assign the pointer value to it
  and return it to OCaml?
  How can I make it portable, i.e. independant on the size of
  pointers ? (32 or 64 bits).

  2/
   Let's assume we have the same C function:

   Bar * Foo(char *S);

   The OCaml matching function should be:

   val foo: string -> bar

   Now assume that NULL is a significant value for S.
   How can I tell OCaml to pass NULL to the C function?
   Should I create a specific version of foo with no
   argument but which passed NULL in the C interface?

  Thanks in advance.

  Regards,

--
Jérôme Marant

* Re: [Caml-list] C <-> OCaml questions
@ 2002-06-17 15:42 ` Dmitry Bely
From: Dmitry Bely @ 2002-06-17 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

JИrТme Marant <jerome.marant@fr.thalesgroup.com> writes:

>   I'm currently writing OCaml bindings for some C libraries and
>   I would like to get some details about how to convert C pointers
>   to OCaml types.

Look at camlidl:

http://caml.inria.fr/camlidl/

Dmitry