* [Caml-list] [ANN] opaline - OPAm Lightweight INstaller Engine
@ 2018-04-13 12:25 Jaap Boender
From: Jaap Boender @ 2018-04-13 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi list,

Just in case it helps anyone else: I wrote a lightweight OPAM installer
that avoids the circular dependencies that opam-installer has - it
depends only on ocaml, ocamlbuild and opam-file-format.

It's a fairly rough piece of software and not very (end-)user-friendly,
but I've incorporated it into pkgsrc and it does work with all of the
.install files I've encountered there, so I'd say it works for
distribution editor purposes.

Available at github.com/jaapb/opaline.

best

   Jaap

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] opaline - OPAm Lightweight INstaller Engine
@ 2018-04-22  9:18 ` Rudi Grinberg
From: Rudi Grinberg @ 2018-04-22  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaap Boender, caml-list

Jaap Boender <jaapb@kerguelen.org> writes:

> Just in case it helps anyone else: I wrote a lightweight OPAM installer
> that avoids the circular dependencies that opam-installer has - it
> depends only on ocaml, ocamlbuild and opam-file-format.

In dune, we've encountered the same problem [1]. Our plan is to solve it
the same way - by re-implementing (a superset of) opam-installer. It's a
bit of a shame that this might end up happening thrice.

[1] https://github.com/ocaml/dune/issues/680