* [Caml-list] ocamlnet status ? other project ?
@ 2003-05-26 15:12 Francois Rouaix
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Francois Rouaix @ 2003-05-26 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi all,
I'm looking into possible code bases for a new  proxy project (in the
style of V6, http://cristal.inria.fr/~rouaix/V6/, but with lots of
other protocols such as IMAP4, filesystems, ...).
In the OCaml world, it seems that OCamlnet was the largest library of
protocols (HTTP, FTP, ...), but it looks like it stopped in late 2001.
Has it evolved since ?
There's also Python code (Twisted Project) but HTTP seems to be
oversimplified (e.g. 1998 style HTTP).
And of course, there's Java code everywhere.

Any other solution that I should be aware of ?
Thanks for pointers,
--f

* Re: [Caml-list] ocamlnet status ? other project ?
@ 2003-05-26 16:29 ` dom
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: dom @ 2003-05-26 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francois Rouaix; +Cc: caml-list

  Bonjour,

> Any other solution that I should be aware of ?

  Well, here at IDEALX we have a reverse-proxy implementation in Perl,
mostly for HTTP (1.1) only, with security features (proxifies
authentication too (based on certificates), etc.) There are a few like
this on the CPAN too (HTTP::Proxy, HTTP::Gateway etc.)

  I believe our thing could benefit from your effort more than the
other way around (I understand you intend to code up something like
delegate-in-CAML, http://www.delegate.org/delegate/ ?), but feel free
to mail me for details.

--
Dominique QUATRAVAUX                           Ingénieur senior
01 44 42 00 08                                 IDEALX

* Re: [Caml-list] ocamlnet status ? other project ?
@ 2003-05-26 17:14 ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2003-05-26 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francois Rouaix; +Cc: caml-list

Am Mon, 2003-05-26 um 17.12 schrieb Francois Rouaix:
> Hi all,
> I'm looking into possible code bases for a new  proxy project (in the
> style of V6, http://cristal.inria.fr/~rouaix/V6/, but with lots of
> other protocols such as IMAP4, filesystems, ...).
> In the OCaml world, it seems that OCamlnet was the largest library of
> protocols (HTTP, FTP, ...), but it looks like it stopped in late 2001.
> Has it evolved since ?

No, Ocamlnet never had HTTP and FTP. Maybe you mean netclient?
Both projects are still actively developed, although I don't have
enough time for all things I would like to do.

> There's also Python code (Twisted Project) but HTTP seems to be
> oversimplified (e.g. 1998 style HTTP).
> And of course, there's Java code everywhere.
>
> Any other solution that I should be aware of ?
> Thanks for pointers,

Gerd

* Re: [Caml-list] ocamlnet status ? other project ?
@ 2003-05-27 13:04 ` Fabrice Le Fessant
From: Fabrice Le Fessant @ 2003-05-27 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francois Rouaix; +Cc: caml-list

>  Hi all,
>  I'm looking into possible code bases for a new  proxy project (in the
>  style of V6, http://cristal.inria.fr/~rouaix/V6/, but with lots of
>  other protocols such as IMAP4, filesystems, ...).
>  In the OCaml world, it seems that OCamlnet was the largest library of
>  protocols (HTTP, FTP, ...), but it looks like it stopped in late 2001.
>  Has it evolved since ?
>  There's also Python code (Twisted Project) but HTTP seems to be
>  oversimplified (e.g. 1998 style HTTP).
>  And of course, there's Java code everywhere.
>
>  Any other solution that I should be aware of ?

You can also look at:
* The CDK, and its net/ library. I think there is a simple HTTP client, HTTP server and an FTP client.
* MLdonkey, where the net/ library (mldonkey/src/utils/net/) contains the kernel of a mono-threaded
   generic network program (ie BasicSockets, TcpBufferedSockets, UdpSockets, TcpServerSockets), wired
   on select/poll system calls, with some kind of bandwidth control, and an HTTP client and server.

- Fabrice

* Re: [Caml-list] ocamlnet status ? other project ?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-05-27 13:35 ` James Leifer
From: James Leifer @ 2003-05-27 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi Francois,

Sebastien Ailleret (ex INRIA, now PSA/Citroen I believe) built a
personal web proxy in Ocaml (great for supressing banner ads):

  http://swiftsurf.sourceforge.net/index-eng.html

According to the page:

  ``SwiftSurf is a web proxy that can handle http (1.0 and 1.1) and
  https. Moreover, it allows page filtering and authentication through
  a password.''

Hope this helps!

-James Leifer