* Re: [Caml-list] Making camlidl
@ 2001-07-13 21:06 kyle.pierce
From: kyle.pierce @ 2001-07-13 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

A slight clarification to my earlier post...

> However, I am having a terrible time getting camlidl built.  I have GNU make
> and the cygwin utilities installed, as suggested in the readme file. I cannot
> get beyond the various problems I'm having with this.  Would I have to
> do the build entirely within the cygwin environment, using bash?  Or what?  I
> would be grateful for any suggestions.

I am using the native Win32 port of OCaml, not Cygwin.  I plan to work in the
native Win32 environment (since I don't have a Linux box), and I am using the
wxWindows library with Visual C++ for GUI front-end coding.

Since camlidl is at least in part a Windows-oriented utility, my expectation
was that I would not have to make it from a bash console.  I simply don't have
much experience with bash.  Any pointers?

Thanks,

Kyle Pierce

* Re: [Caml-list] Making camlidl
@ 2001-07-13 21:19 ` Alexander V. Voinov
From: Alexander V. Voinov @ 2001-07-13 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kyle.pierce; +Cc: caml-list

Hi Kyle,

kyle.pierce@pcisys.net wrote:

> A slight clarification to my earlier post...
>
> > However, I am having a terrible time getting camlidl built.  I have GNU make
> > and the cygwin utilities installed, as suggested in the readme file. I cannot
> > get beyond the various problems I'm having with this.  Would I have to
> > do the build entirely within the cygwin environment, using bash?  Or what?  I
> > would be grateful for any suggestions.
>
> I am using the native Win32 port of OCaml, not Cygwin.  I plan to work in the
> native Win32 environment (since I don't have a Linux box), and I am using the
> wxWindows library with Visual C++ for GUI front-end coding.

Do you develop direct bindings of wxWindows to OCaml, or develop the application
layer you need directly in VC++ and call it from OCaml?

Alexander

* Re: [Caml-list] Making camlidl
@ 2001-07-14 14:27 ` Dmitry Bely
From: Dmitry Bely @ 2001-07-14 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

kyle.pierce@pcisys.net writes:

> A slight clarification to my earlier post...
>
> > However, I am having a terrible time getting camlidl built.  I have GNU make
> > and the cygwin utilities installed, as suggested in the readme file. I cannot
> > get beyond the various problems I'm having with this.  Would I have to
> > do the build entirely within the cygwin environment, using bash?  Or what?  I
> > would be grateful for any suggestions.

Only working GNU "make" is necessary, if you do not plan to build
ocaml COM objects, packed as DLL. In the latter case you will also need
"bash" to run camlidldll script. Both "make" and "bash" are available as a
part of free Cygwin environment (http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin). If you
only need GNU make, you can forget about Cygwin and grab native Win32 GNU
make from
ftp://ftp.nanotech.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/mingw32/ports/make-3.77-mingw32.zip

> I am using the native Win32 port of OCaml, not Cygwin.  I plan to work in the
> native Win32 environment (since I don't have a Linux box), and I am using the
> wxWindows library with Visual C++ for GUI front-end coding.

Absolutely no problem bulding camlidl in the very similar environment
(WinNT 4.0 instead Win2000). Be sure that "make" is in you path and follow
readme instructions.

> Since camlidl is at least in part a Windows-oriented utility, my expectation
> was that I would not have to make it from a bash console.  I simply don't have
> much experience with bash.  Any pointers?

Hope to hear from you soon,
Dmitry

* Re: [Caml-list] Making camlidl
@ 2001-07-14 15:24   ` Dmitry Bely
From: Dmitry Bely @ 2001-07-14 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

"Alexander V. Voinov" <avv@quasar.ipa.nw.ru> writes:

> > I am using the native Win32 port of OCaml, not Cygwin.  I plan to work in the
> > native Win32 environment (since I don't have a Linux box), and I am using the
> > wxWindows library with Visual C++ for GUI front-end coding.
>
> Do you develop direct bindings of wxWindows to OCaml, or develop the application
> layer you need directly in VC++ and call it from OCaml?

Just my $0.02:

camlidl let you call C functions from caml, automatically generating all
necessary interface code (main caml program, C library). It also supports
COM ABI under Win32/Unix -- you can have main C/C++ program (or any other
COM-compatible application), and call caml component for any service.

Rigth now I am trying to use caml for some part of large Win32 project,
most of which is being developing using MSVC. Camlidl does its job,
although some non-fixed bugs are still there.

Hope to hear from you soon,
Dmitry

* Re: [Caml-list] Making camlidl
@ 2001-07-13 22:25 kyle.pierce
From: kyle.pierce @ 2001-07-13 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander V. Voinov; +Cc: caml-list

Hi Alexander,

> Do you develop direct bindings of wxWindows to OCaml, or develop the
application layer you need directly in VC++ and call it from OCaml?

If I had some experience with developing direct bindings the way they did with
WxPython (for example), I might attempt to do something similar with OCaml.  I
am not very happy with Tcl/Tk and I couldn't even get that working with OCaml
anyway.

I have a more modest solution, however: to write the whole front end in VC++
using wxWindows, and call my OCaml code from that front end.  I am not
especially interested in handling GUI events from OCaml anyway.  But if it were
not too hard to create something like a wxOCaml, I would use it for sure.  Of
course, one hurdle would be to get the interface to C/C++ working, which is
what camlidl seems to be good for.

Kyle

* [Caml-list] Making camlidl
@ 2001-07-13 19:41 kyle.pierce
From: kyle.pierce @ 2001-07-13 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

One of my first experiments with OCaml has been to try and build the camlidl
utility (version 1.01) to help me build a library with OCaml and then call it
from a C++ executable.  I'm in a Windows 2000 environment, but no COM features
are needed, I just want the glue code for integrating with C/C++.

However, I am having a terrible time getting camlidl built.  I have GNU make
and the cygwin utilities installed, as suggested in the readme file.  I cannot
get beyond the various problems I'm having with this.  Would I have to actually
do the build entirely within the cygwin environment, using bash?  Or what?  I
would be grateful for any suggestions.

Alternatively, has anyone built a native code camlidl.exe that you would be
willing to share?  Or for that matter, a bytecode version?

Thanks,

Kyle Pierce