categories - Category Theory list
* CATEGORY THEORY SYMPOSIUM
@ 1998-02-16 19:21 rjwood
From: rjwood @ 1998-02-16 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

ANNOUNCEMENT

CATEGORY THEORY SYMPOSIUM
A special session of the Canadian Mathematical Society Summer 1998 Meeting

June 13-15, 1998

University of New Brunswick (Saint John)
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

The symposium follows the usual format found at society meetings in
North America. Thus it is part of a larger programme including plenary
talks, one of which will be given by S. Schanuel (SUNY Buffalo). The
larger programme also features a public lecture by F.W. Lawvere (SUNY
Buffalo).

The invited speakers for the Category Theory Symposium are M. Barr
(McGill), M. Bunge (McGill), P. Freyd (Pennsylvania), A.Joyal (UQAM),
F.W. Lawvere (SUNY Buffalo), M. Makkai (McGill), S. Niefield (Union),
R. Pare (Dalhousie), J.W. Pelletier (York), S. Schanuel (SUNY Buffalo),
M. Tierney (Rutgers), W. Tholen (York), and R.F.C. Walters (Sydney).

Registration for the meeting, including fees, is handled by the Canadian
Mathematical Society (CMS). A pre-registration form can be obtained by
writing to
           meetings@cms.math.ca
Electronic pre-registration is available on the CMS site at
           http://camel.math.ca/CMS/Events/summer98
At this site complete information about all necessities, such as
accommodation, is provided.

However, category theorists who plan to attend are strongly urged to
also send e-mail to
                    ct95@mscs.dal.ca (sic)
where it will be readily available to
RJ Wood (Dalhousie), Category Theory Session Organizer
and
Robert Rosebrugh (Mount Allison), Meeting Director

* Category Theory Symposium
@ 2000-03-15 15:24 Coecke Bob
From: Coecke Bob @ 2000-03-15 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories; +Cc: Coecke Bob

Dear Colleagues,

We announce a "PSSL-like" meeting on category theory in Brussels,
April 8-9. Please check out our webpage for participants and
program (there is still space for some more lectures):

http://www.vub.ac.be/CLEA/BobWS2000.html

Note that the week after we have a workshop on quantum logic
focussed on applications of quantales and categorical methods,
outlined on the same webpage.

For confirmation of participation or other information, we are

Bob Coecke - bocoecke@vub.ac.be
Isar Stubbe - i.stubbe@agel.ucl.ac.be

Yours sincerely.
--
Bob Coecke, Foundations of Exact Sciences (FUND),
Department of Mathematics, Free University of Brussels,

* Category Theory Symposium
@ 2000-02-09 16:30 Coecke Bob
From: Coecke Bob @ 2000-02-09 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

(This mail has been sent to category theorists visiting Louvain-La-Neuve
in April this year, participants of the "Workshop on categorical methods
in algebra and topology" in Nassogne, organized last year by F. Borceux,
and participants of the recent "PSSL 71" at Louvain-La-Neuve  ---  please
feel free to forward it to anyone that might be interested.)
     The research unit Foundations of Exact Sciences of the Free
University of Brussels, active in axiomatic quantum theory/logic,
organizes its annual workshop on "Operational Quantum Logic" the week of
April 10-14. This year's main theme will be the role of quantales in, and
categorical aspects of quantum logic.
     Motivated by the large number of visiting category theorists in
Louvain-La-Neuve and workshop participants in Brussels in that period, and
the non-empty intersection of their research domains, we have, after
consulting Francis Borceux, decided to organize a

        "Category Theory Symposium" in Brussels,
             the weekend of April 8-9, 2000

as a satellite of our workshop on quantum logic.
     The style of the meeting will be essentially inspired by the PSSL
meetings, although we don't use that name since there has been an earlier
announcement of a "PSSL" in Braunschweig taking place later in April. We
would very much appreciate your participation in the "Category theory
symposium", convinced as we are of the benefit of interaction between the
researchers of our respective domains!

As location for the "Category theory symposium" we have chosen for the
homebase of an artists-collective, which is a actually a 'swimming pool
with no water' in Vorst (Fôret), Brussels - the artists are looking
forward to the encounter with mathematicians and are (allready now)
showing signs of inspiration.

As provisional program we propose the following:
- Saturday (April 8): 9.30h  Welcome in Vorst (F™ret), Brussels;
                      10.00h Start lectures;
                      13.00h Lunch offered by us;
                      14.30h Some more lectures;
                      19.30h Dinner offered by us.
- Sunday (April 9):   10.00h Lectures;
                      13.00h Lunch, outing and tourism in Brussels.

Please let us know if you are interested in:
attending and/or giving a talk at the "Category Theory Symposium"
(or if you might want to participate in the workshop on "Operational
Quantum Logic: quantum logic/quantales/categories'', the week after),
by mailing to any of the following:
- The organizers:
Bob Coecke; bocoecke@vub.ac.be
Steven Sourbron; ssourbro@vub.ac.be
Frank Valckenborgh; fvalcken@vub.ac.be
- Their "partner in crime" in Louvain-La-Neuve:
Isar Stubbe; i.stubbe@agel.ucl.ac.be

This meeting and the quantum logic/quantale workshop is supported by
FWO Research Network WO.011.96N:
fundamentele methodes en thechnieken in de wiskunde.

---