categories - Category Theory list
* BOUNCE categories@mta.ca: Approval required:
@ 1998-07-17  9:09 Categories List
From: Categories List @ 1998-07-17  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rrosebru

Subject: Re: categories: RE: Upper case and lower case
To: FEJLINTON/0004142427@MCIMAIL.COM (Fred E J Linton)
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 10:09:01 +0100 (BST)
Cc: categories@mta.ca
From: "Dr. P.T. Johnstone" <P.T.Johnstone@dpmms.cam.ac.uk>

> David Feldman erroneously credits to me an insight that is not mine, but
> Peter Johnstone's.  Cf. {Topos Theory}, p. 230:
>
> > ... If we regard two distinct points having the same closure
> > as an instance of double vision (and an irreducible closed set with no
> > generic point as a species of pink elephant!), then the reason for the
> > term "sober space" will be apparent.
>
> (Thanks, David, but credit where credit is due.)
>
> -- Fred

I can't claim the credit either: the wording above is mine, but I
copied the idea from something written by Bill Lawvere. I can't now
find the reference, but I think it may have been in his 1976 Chicago
lecture notes on "Variable Sets, Etendu and Variable Structures in
Topoi" (of which I no longer have a copy).

Peter Johnstone

* BOUNCE categories@mta.ca: Approval required:
@ 1998-09-23  5:05 Categories List
From: Categories List @ 1998-09-23  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rrosebru

Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 01:09:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: "R.A.G. Seely" <rags@math.mcgill.ca>
        Types List <types@cis.upenn.edu>, Categories List <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: URL update for Category group, Montreal (Lambek Festschrift, etc)

Recently there have been some security problems with the Montreal
Category Group's ftp site on triples.  This seems a good opportunity
to remind people that our old "ftp-based" URLs have been updated for
WWW use.  In particularly, the "official" URL for the group's WWW page
is (and has been for a while now)

      http://triples.math.mcgill.ca

(note the absence of the redundant "www" prefix)

Related URLs that are linked to this include the recent call for
papers for the Lambek Festschrift (deadline 31 Jan 1999)

     http://triples.math.mcgill.ca/lambek/LambekVol.html

as well as the current seminars of the group, and the table of
contents for the upcoming special issue of JPAA in honour of Mike Barr
("Barrfest").

     http://triples.math.mcgill.ca/~rags/seminar/
     http://triples.math.mcgill.ca/barrfest/bfpapers.html

(and other links of interest...)

The last time a note such as this went out, we promised to support the
"old" urls for a time - that time may be running out now, so we
encourage all interested to verify that your links and bookmarks are
up-to-date in this regard.  For the time being, any ftp to triples may
be unreliable, until the security issues are resolved.

= rags =
(Robert Seely)

<rags@math.mcgill.ca>
<http://www.math.mcgill.ca/~rags>

* BOUNCE categories@mta.ca: Approval required:
@ 1998-07-17 11:33 Categories List
From: Categories List @ 1998-07-17 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rrosebru

From: ct99@mat.uc.pt
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 12:41:38 +0100
To: categories@mta.ca
Subject: preliminary announcement

                      PRELIMINARY ANNOUNCEMENT

                                CT99
                International Category Theory Meeting

                      Department of Mathematics
                        University of Coimbra
                          Coimbra,  Portugal
                           July 19-24, 1999

The Department of Mathematics of the University of Coimbra is organizing an
International Meeting on Category Theory to be held at the University of
Coimbra, from 19th to 24th of July, 1999.

The program will consist of conferences delivered by invited speakers and
contributed short talks.

Scientific Committee:
--------------------

Jiri Adamek (Technische Universitat Braunschweig, Germany)
Bernhard Banaschewski (McMaster University, Canada)
Peter T. Johnstone (University of Cambridge, UK)
Andre Joyal (Universite du Quebec a Montreal, Canada)
F. William Lawvere (SUNY at Buffalo, USA)
Ross Street (Macquarie University, Australia)
Walter Tholen (York University, Canada)

Organizing Committee:
--------------------

Manuela Sobral (Universidade de Coimbra)
Maria Manuel Clementino (Universidade de Coimbra)
Jorge Picado (Universidade de Coimbra)
Lurdes Sousa (Instituto Politecnico de Viseu)
Goncalo Gutierres (Universidade de Coimbra)

             School on Category Theory and Applications
                      Department of Mathematics
                        University of Coimbra
                          Coimbra,  Portugal
                           July 13-17, 1999

In the framework of Centro Internacional de Matematica (http://www.cim.pt)
the Department of Mathematics of the University of Coimbra is also
organizing a School on Category Theory and Applications from 13th to 17th of
July, 1999.
This school will consist of the following intensive courses, at a
postgraduate level:

n-Categories
  by John Baez (University of California, USA)

Algebraic Theories
  by M. Cristina Pedicchio (University of Trieste, Italy)

Chu Spaces: duality as a common foundation for computation and mathematics
  by Vaughan Pratt (Stanford University, USA).

A detailed announcement of both events will be made in October.

For further information mailto:ct99@mat.uc.pt