categories - Category Theory list
* Addendum squared or cubed, depending on what you count.
@ 2000-01-18 15:14 Peter Freyd
From: Peter Freyd @ 2000-01-18 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Vaughan writes:

  How about the positive integers with  *  as sum, with 1->3 as the
  only nonidentity arrow?  The unique cubical coalgebra is  1  but
  there is no square coalgebra.

Indeed, but there's no _final_ cubical coalgebra. What I don't have is
a category with an associative bifunctor with a final cubical
coalgebra but no final square coalgebra.

On a _discrete_ category being the unique coalgebra is necessary and
sufficient for being a final coalgebra. It's easy to see that in a
semigroup if  x  is a unique solution to  xxx = x  then  x  is the
unique solution to  xx = x.

After writing all that, I note that in Vaughan's example, *  is not a
functor. If it were, there would have to map from  1*1  to  1*3  and
1*1  would be a square coalgebra.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2000-01-18 15:14 UTC | newest]