categories - Category Theory list
* intuitionism and disjunction
@ 2006-02-26 16:18 Peter Freyd
From: Peter Freyd @ 2006-02-26 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Paul Levy writes

  ...a model of intuitionistic logic is a *bi*cartesian closed category.

  I see no reason to regard disjunction as more "peripheral" to
  intuitionistic logic than implication.  (And, likewise, no reason to
  regard sum types as more peripheral to simple type theory than function
  types.)  Does anybody disagree?

The original intuitionists did, of course, see such reasons. But for
those who don't care about such issues as the nature of mathematical
existence there's this reason: if by a *bi*cartesian closed category
one were to mean a ccc category whose dual is also ccc then one would
be stuck with that fact that all *bi*cartesian closed categories are
just pre-ordered sets.

The status of disjunction and sum types in the presence of function
types is, indeed, significantly different from the status of
conjunction and products types.

Let me take the occasion to record a factoid I don't think I ever had
an excuse to record before (and don't really have one now). Define the
notion of a Heyting semi-lattice (HSL) by removing disjunction and
bottom from the definition of Heyting algebra. Define a _linear_ HSL
as one that satisfies the further equation

    ((x -> y) -> z) ^ ((y -> x) -> z)  =  z

e.g. any linearly ordered set with top (indeed, every linear HSL is
representable as a sub HSL of a product of linear ones).

In a linear HSL one may construct disjunction as

    ((x -> y) -> y) ^ ((y -> x) -> x)

The factoid of interest is this sort-of converse: the only HSL
varieties in which every member is a lattice are varieties of linear
HSLs.

* Re: intuitionism and disjunction
@ 2006-02-27 13:26 Peter Freyd
From: Peter Freyd @ 2006-02-27 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Paul Levy asks how the original intuitionists viewed disjunction. I
don't know how to say it better than this paragraph from Wikipedia
(anyone know who wrote it?).

  The disjunction and existence properties are validated by
  intuitionistic logic and invalid for classical logic; they are key
  criteria used in assessing whether a logic is constructive.... The
  disjunction property is a finitary analogue, in an evident sense.
  Namely given two or finitely many propositions P_i, whose
  disjunction is true, we want to have an explicit value of the index
  i such that we have a proof of that particular P_i. There are quite
  concrete examples in number theory where this has a major effect.

It is a (meta)theorem that in free Heyting algebras and free topoi
(and all sorts of variations thereon) that the disjunction property
holds. In the free topos that translates to the statement that the
terminator, 1, is not the join of two proper subobjects. Together with
the existence property it translates to the assertion that  1  is an
indecomposable projective object -- the functor it represents (i.e.
the global-section functor) preserves epis and coproducts. (And with
a little more work one can show it also preserves co-equalizers.)

* Re: intuitionism and disjunction
@ 2006-03-01 15:17 Thomas Streicher
From: Thomas Streicher @ 2006-03-01 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

W.r.t. to the discussion on intuitionism and disjunction I would like to
remark that this relation depends heavily on whether the ambient setting is
predicative or not. In an impredicative setting like toposes (or the Calculus
of Constructions) one may define disjunction and existential quantification
`a la Russell-Prawitz by quantification over \Omega (that's what (some)
logicians call impredicative, i.e. the possibility to quantify over
propositions and thus also predicates).
However in a first order setting this is not possible. E.g. if one considers
Heyting arithmetic with ist usual axioms and as logic the
\neg,\wedge,->,\forall fragment of first order logic then all formulas are
provably double negation closed. This shows that disjunction and existence
are not definable from the rest via first order logic.

So far the logical side. What Paul Levy had in mind was slightly different
as I understand it. Categories of domains (cpos with \bot) are cartesian
closed and have weak finite sums but certainly no proper finite sums
(since every map has a fixpoint). For modelling his CBPV paradigm he needs
in addition a category of predomains which is bicartesian closed. The former
is an example of a ccc which is not bicartesian but can be embedded into the
latter which is.

So one doesn't get for free the finite sums from a ccc which is problematic
both in logic and semantics of computation.

Thomas