categories - Category Theory list
* disjoint_coproducts_?
@ 2013-07-23 22:45 Eduardo J. Dubuc
From: Eduardo J. Dubuc @ 2013-07-23 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

Hello, I have the following question:

Assume a topos SS as the base topos, and  work in this topos as in naive
set theory (without choice or excluded middle). Take a Grothendieck
topos EE ---> SS with a site of definition CC. As usual in the
literature (Joyal-Tierney, Moerdijk, Bunge, and many more) consider that
CC has objects, and that these objects are  objects of EE which are
generators in the sense that given any X in EE,  the family of all
f: C ---> X, all C in CC, is epimorphic. Consider F: CC ---> SS  to be
the inverse image of a point. Then the family Ff: FC ---> FX is
epimorphic in SS.

My question is:

Can I do the following ? (meaning, is it correct the following arguing,
certainly valid if SS is the topos of sets):

Given a in FX, take f:C ---> X and c in FC such that a = Ff(c).

We can break this question in two:

1) Does it make sense to take

E = COPRODUCT_{all f: C ---> X, all C in CC} FC ?

We have g: E ---> FX an epimorphism, so we can take c in E such that
a = g(c).

Then we would need the validity of:

2) Given x in COPRODUCT_{i in I} S_i , then x in S_i for some i in I.

greetings   e.d.

* R: disjoint_coproducts_?
@ 2013-07-24 11:04 ` Olivia Caramello
From: Olivia Caramello @ 2013-07-24 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Eduardo J. Dubuc', 'Categories list'

Dear Eduardo,

Your statement is valid internally in SS, that is once formalized in the
internal language of the topos SS; this can be done in geometric logic, by
considering a (possibly infinitary) disjunction over all the arrows f: C
---> X for C in CC (interpreted by the arrows Ff in SS) and existential
quantifications. If you want a statement valid 'externally', you should
instead use generalized elements in SS and epimorphic families involving
their domains.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Olivia

* Re: disjoint_coproducts_?
@ 2013-07-25 11:33   ` Thomas Streicher
From: Thomas Streicher @ 2013-07-25 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivia Caramello; +Cc: 'Eduardo J. Dubuc', 'Categories list'

> Your statement is valid internally in SS, that is once formalized in the
> internal language of the topos SS; this can be done in geometric logic, by
> considering a (possibly infinitary) disjunction over all the arrows f: C
> ---> X for C in CC (interpreted by the arrows Ff in SS) and existential
> quantifications. If you want a statement valid 'externally', you should
> instead use generalized elements in SS and epimorphic families involving
> their domains.

Since CC is internal to SS which is assumed as different from Set it
doesn't make sense to consider an infinite disjunction over all arrows
f: C --> X for C in CC.

Thomas