categories - Category Theory list
* News from Tulane?
@ 2005-09-07 22:46 Robert Seely
From: Robert Seely @ 2005-09-07 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories List

Just wondering if anybody here has had any news from our collegues from
Tulane (eg Mike Mislove)?  Are they safe, did they evacuate before the
hurricane, what's in store for them now?  (I know the university is shut -
and I guess probably for the forseeable future, though that's also a
question.)  Obviously one wishes them all the best in this impossibly
difficult time.

-= rags -=

--
<rags@math.mcgill.ca>
<www.math.mcgill.ca/rags>

* Re: News from Tulane?
@ 2005-09-07 23:38 ` jim stasheff
From: jim stasheff @ 2005-09-07 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories List

[Note from moderator: Thanks to the many who replied, several answers are
combined below.]

Robert Seely wrote:

>Just wondering if anybody here has had any news from our collegues from
>Tulane (eg Mike Mislove)?  Are they safe, did they evacuate before the
>hurricane, what's in store for them now?  (I know the university is shut -
>and I guess probably for the forseeable future, though that's also a
>question.)  Obviously one wishes them all the best in this impossibly
>difficult time.
>
>-= rags -=

Some Tulane students have been accepted here at Penn
and we have picked up 2 post-docs who would've been there.

jim

Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 16:57:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dominic Hughes <dominic@theory.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: categories: News from Tulane?

I know second-hand that Mike Mislove and James (aka Ben) Worrell got away
safely.

Dominic

From: Michael Fourman <Michael.Fourman@ed.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: News from Tulane?
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 06:06:16 +0100

I checked this a few days ago. Google search for
Mislove Tulane Katrina
turns up the following

http://atgdev.elsevier.com/blogs/cleonard/?p=3D34

Katrina and Tulane
September 2nd, 2005
I=92ve just had an email from Mike Mislove, editor of Electronic Notes
=20=

in Theoretical Computer Science. He is usually based in New Orleans =20
at Tulane University, but is currently safe in Memphis having =20
evacuated before the hurricane hit land. Apparently it will be some =20
time before Tulane will be back to normal - daily updates on the =20
situation can be found on a special website.

As a result of the recent devastation, the usual Tulane mail servers =20
are not working. If you wish to contact Mike, please use his gmail =20
account.

From: Don Sannella <dts@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 08:57:19 +0100

I recently heard from Chris Leonard at Elsevier -- where Mike Mislove
is editor-in-chief of Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science
-- that Mike got out before the hurricane hit, is safe in Memphis, and
can be reached at michael.mislove@gmail.com.  I don't know anything
about anybody else at Tulane.

Don Sannella

From: Martin Escardo <m.escardo@cs.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 09:39:29 +0100

I know that Mike Mislove and Karl Hofmann safely rellocated themselves
before the hurricane. Because Mike didn't mention, I assume that all
other colleagues are safe, but I don't really know.

Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 02:46:21 -0700
From: Dusko Pavlovic <dusko@kestrel.edu>

mike mislove is in a hotel in memphis, tn. they evacuated before the
hurricane, but times are difficult. we hope that he and his family will
visit palo alto as soon as the circumstances allow.

ben worrell was in canada, scheduled to return to new orleans on the
morning of katrina. he was to start at oxford soon, so i hope that he is
now in UK.

i have no idea about the others.

-- dusko