categories - Category Theory list
* re: Normal quotients of categories
@ 2006-01-18  7:36 Reinhard Boerger
From: Reinhard Boerger @ 2006-01-18  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Hello,

let me add some remarks to Marco Grandis' posting.

> 1. Generalised quotients of categories.
>
>      A very general notion of generalised congruence in a category -
> also involving objects - can be found in a paper by Bednarczyk,
> Borzyszkowski and Pawlowski [BBP].

I have not yet looked at that paper, but I think the "natural" thing is
to consider equivalence relations R on a category C, which are
subcategories of CxC (i.e. closed under composition, not
necessary full; identities are in R by relexivity of R). In my
diplomarbeit "Kongruenzrelationen auf Kategorien" from 1977, I
considered that, but I was not the first one. Some years earlier
there was a paper by Jacques Mersch from Liege (Belgium), which
unfortunately appeared only in an internal publication of the
university of Liege. Moreover, I think I remember that John Isbell did
something on this subject.

>      The quotient  p: X -> X/A  is determined by the obvious
> universal property:

The universal property is also obvious in the general situation. For
small categories, a functor with this property always exists, let's
call it a quotient functor. For large categories it my happen that the
hom-sets of the quotient become large, even if the hom-sets of the
original category are small. In general, a congruence as above is
not a kernel of a functor; the quotient functor may identify more
morphisms. In my diplomarbeit, I rediscovered an example, which
had already been found by Mersch. The quotient functors are
exactly the regular epis in CAT. But unfortunately, they are not
closed under compositon, so a quotient of a quotient of C need not
be a quotient of C.

>      It is interesting to note that  p  automatically satisfies a 2-
> dimensional universal property, as one can easily deduce from the fact
> that natural transformations can be viewed as functors  X -> Y^2,
> with values in the category of morphisms of  Y.

Of course, this argument also works in the general situation.

                                                             Greetings
                                                         Reinhard Boerger

* Re: Normal quotients of categories
@ 2006-01-18 10:26 Marco Grandis
From: Marco Grandis @ 2006-01-18 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

On 18 Jan 2006, at 09:36, V. Schmitt wrote:

> Marco I am not very awake this morning but i think that this
> construction of formally inverted some arrow is well known
> for long (cf for instance Borceux's handbooks on localizations).
> Am i wrong?
> Cheers,
> Vincent

Categories of fractions are indeed very well-known, but satisfy a
different universal property: to make *invertible* the assigned
arrows (instead of making them *identities*).

But you can view categories of fractions at the light of what I was
saying. Take in  Cat  the (closed) ideal of functors which send every
map to an isomorphism, or equivalently of those functors which factor
through a groupoid.
With respect to this ideal, the kernel of a functor  f: X -> Y  is
the (wide and replete) subcategory of maps which  f  turns into
isomorphisms, while the cokernel is the category of fractions of  Y
which inverts all arrows reached by  f.

Best regards   Marco G.

PS. And - thinking of Jean Pradine's message - yes, of course,
quotient of groupoids are important, but have special features of
their own; as he is pointing out.

* Re: Normal quotients of categories
@ 2006-01-17 22:30 ` jim stasheff
From: jim stasheff @ 2006-01-17 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

[Note from moderator: reference was mentioned before, but is more complete
below]

Don't know if this got through already
as myu mail has been acting up:

There is also Drinfeld's

*math.KT/0210114* [abs <http://arxiv.org/abs/math.KT/0210114>, ps
<http://arxiv.org/ps/math.KT/0210114>, pdf
<http://arxiv.org/pdf/math.KT/0210114>, other
<http://arxiv.org/format/math.KT/0210114>] :
    Title: *DG quotients of DG categories*
    Authors: * Vladimir Drinfeld
    <http://arxiv.org/find/math/1/au:+Drinfeld_V/0/1/0/all/0/1>*
    Comments: 50 pages, Latex; some typographical errors corrected, some
    references added
    Subj-class: K-Theory and Homology; Algebraic Geometry; Algebraic
    Topology; Category Theory

jim

@ 2006-01-17 18:12 Marco Grandis
From: Marco Grandis @ 2006-01-17 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

------

1. Generalised quotients of categories.

     A very general notion of generalised congruence in a category -
also involving objects - can be found in a paper by Bednarczyk,
Borzyszkowski and Pawlowski [BBP].

     Here we will only consider a particular case, determined by the
maps which we want to become identities. More precisely, given a
category  X  and a set  A  of its arrows,  X/A  will denote the
quotient of  X  modulo the generalised congruence generated by
declaring every arrow in  A  to be equivalent to the identity of its
domain. (It exists, because the generalised congruences of a category
form a complete lattice, see [BBP].)

     The quotient  p: X -> X/A  is determined by the obvious
universal property:

- for every functor  f: X -> Y  which takes all the maps of  A  to
identities, there is a unique functor  f': X/A -> Y  such that f = f'p.

     It is interesting to note that  p  automatically satisfies a 2-
dimensional universal property, as one can easily deduce from the
fact that natural transformations can be viewed as functors  X ->
Y^2,  with values in the category of morphisms of  Y.

2. Kernels and normal quotients of categories.

     This particular case can be made clearer when viewed at the
light of general considerations on kernels and cokernels with respect
to an *assigned ideal* of "null" arrows, studied in [Gr] -
independently of the existence of a zero object. (For kernels with
respect to an ideal, see also Ehresmann [Eh] and Lavendhomme [La].)

     Take, in  Cat,  the ideal of *discrete* functors, i.e. those
functors which send every map to an identity; or, equivalently,
consider as *null* objects in  Cat  the discrete categories and say
that a functor is *null* if it factors through such a category (we
have thus a *closed* ideal, according to an obvious Galois connection
between set of maps and set of objects, see [Gr]).

     This ideal produces - by the usual universal properties
formulated *with respect to null functors* - a notion of kernels and
cokernels in  Cat.  Precisely, given a functor  f: X -> Y,  its
kernel is the wide subcategory of all morphisms of  X  which  f
sends to identities of  Y  (V(f),  in Benabou's notation), while its
cokernel is the quotient  Y -> Y/B,  produced by the set-theoretical
"arrow-image"  B  of  f.

     A normal subcategory  X'  of  X,  by definition, is a kernel of
some functor starting at  X,  or, equivalently, the kernel of the
cokernel of its embedding. It is necessarily a wide subcategory; but,
of course, there are wide subcategories which are not normal.

     Dually, a normal quotient  p: X -> X'  is the cokernel of some
functor with values in  X  (or, equivalently, the cokernel of its
kernel). A normal quotient is always surjective on objects (as it
follows easily using its factorisation through its full image), but -
of course - need not be surjective on maps.

     Now, the normal quotients of  X  are precisely those we have
considered in point 1. Indeed, given a set  A  of arrows of  X,  the
quotient  X -> X/A  is necessarily the cokernel of some functor  f
with values in  X  (eg, take the free category  A'  on the graph  A
and the resulting functor  f: A' -> X).

     The normal quotients of a category  X  form a *lattice*, anti-
isomorphic to the lattice of normal subcategories of  X,  via kernels
and cokernels.
     (More generally, this holds replacing  Cat  with any category
equipped with a closed ideal, and having kernels and cokernels wrt
it; see [Gr].)

3. References

[BBP] M.A. Bednarczyk - A.M. Borzyszkowski - W. Pawlowski,
Generalized congruences-epimorphisms in Cat, Theory Appl. Categ. 5
(1999), No. 11, 266-280.

[Eh] C. Ehresmann, Cohomologie a valeurs dans une categorie dominee,
Extraits du Colloque de Topologie, Bruxelles 1964, in: C. Ehresmann,
Oeuvres completes et commentees, Partie III-2, 531-590, Amiens 1980.
(See also the Comments in the same volume, p. 845-847.)
[Gr] M. Grandis, On the categorical foundations of homological and
homotopical algebra, Cah. Topol. Geom. Diff. Categ. 33 (1992), 135-175.

[La] R. Lavendhomme, Un plongement pleinement fidele de la categorie
des groupes, Bull. Soc. Math. Belgique, 17 (1965), 153-185.