categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Aurelio Carboni
@ 2012-12-12  4:33 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2012-12-12  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Bob Walters announced

> It is with great sadness I write to let you know that our friend
> Aurelio Carboni died peacefully this morning, 11 December 2012.

The song has it that "only the good die young".
Maybe not "only", but certainly "all too often".

May Aurelio rest in peace, and live on in his work and our memories.

-- Fred

* Aurelio Carboni
@ 2012-12-14  8:40 Alberto Peruzzi
From: Alberto Peruzzi @ 2012-12-14  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

This is really sad news. Aurelio was a unique person, merging mathematical
insight, humour and one, his very own, disenchanted sense of life. The
latter was a recurrent subject of debate between us every time we met, since
the first time at the State University of Milan in 1983, during a seminar in
logic. His remarks, in the form of criticism and suggestion on specific
topics of research, were always helpful to grasp the point of a problem,
seen from his own, deep, understanding of mathematics.

Best regards,
Aberto Peruzzi

* Aurelio Carboni
@ 2012-12-13 19:54 John Duskin
From: John Duskin @ 2012-12-13 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Like many of my colleagues I was shocked and saddened by Aurelio's untimely passing. I have many fond memories of him, especially the first time many years ago of seeing  him studying with Bill Lawvere here in Buffalo. He will be missed.

John Duskin

* Aurelio Carboni
@ 2012-12-13 10:17 Marco Grandis
From: Marco Grandis @ 2012-12-13 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

We were colleagues at Genoa, for a few years in 1993-96, and had a
paper together
on a matter of common interest but based on his initial idea and
intuition.
In that period, we had the pleasure of having Marta Bunge with us,
during her
sabbatical in 1993-94, as she already recalled in her message.

Then he moved back to Milano and later to Como, and I only met him at
conferences and meetings.
I regret we had no further occasions of working together.

I am shocked, as so many of his colleagues and friends.

Marco Grandis

* Re: Aurelio Carboni
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-12-13  9:07 ` Marino Gran
From: Marino Gran @ 2012-12-13  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

As many others I am very sad that Aurelio has left us.

Once he told me something like this: “When, trying to explain a theorem, someone says “for technical reasons I assume this and that...” this usually means that he has not really understood what he is talking about. There is no “technical reason”.”

We shall miss him.

Best regards,
Marino

* Re: Aurelio Carboni
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-12-13  8:32 ` Giuseppe Rosolini
From: Giuseppe Rosolini @ 2012-12-13  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

I miss him very much. Especially because doing mathematics with him was a lot of fun. His humor, his naturalness, his spontaneity were like a force of nature. And I was very lucky as I could receive his harsh criticisms directly in his mother language, and respond.

And I always remember with joy the very long night we spent together, when we met at 6pm EST at the gate of a flight from JFK to Denver; coming from different places across the Atlantic, each had missed his connecting flight. For a technical problem, we then sat at the gate for four hours waiting for a replacement aircraft. We got to Denver at 4am MST, arriving in Boulder at 7am in time for breakfast. Yet he made it the most absolutely delightful trip for me.

Ciao!
Pino

* Re: Aurelio Carboni
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-12-12 20:13 ` Ross Street
From: Ross Street @ 2012-12-12 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

On 12/12/2012, at 4:57 AM, Robert FC Walters wrote:

> It is with great sadness I write to let you know that our friend
> Aurelio Carboni died peacefully this morning, 11 December 2012.

Others have expressed well many of the sentiments I also feel.
Aurelio and Patrizia were very kind to us. Our family loved travelling
in his big Citroen and stopping off for delicious gelati on the way home
from school.

We were a bit worried once, taking Aurelio to an Italian restaurant at
Bondi Beach (Papa Giovanni's). Could be a disaster. We were served
our pizzas and were hoeing in. We noticed some mild activity with
Aurelio's hands involving putting his finger to his cheek and other things.
Then Aurelio stood up. We asked where he was going. He said the chef
had invited him to taste the spaghetti he himself was eating
at another table. Not a word had been spoken.

So many memories, personal and mathematical.

Ross

* Aurelio Carboni
@ 2012-12-12 16:51 ` Joyal, André
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Joyal, André @ 2012-12-12 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert FC Walters, categories

The disappearance of Aurelio leaves me sad.
He was an exceptionnal person  and a good mathematicians.

His motto may have been: Takes category theory seriously
but dont take human been too seriously.

We will miss him.

-André

* Aurelio Carboni
       [not found] <BAY404-EAS33B3EA3FA15A9AC3F59C26DF480@phx.gbl>
@ 2012-12-12 13:45 ` Marta Bunge
From: Marta Bunge @ 2012-12-12 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories

> Dear colleagues and friends,
>
> This is quite a shock to me. I regret not having visited him when Bob (Walters) and Aurelio himself encouraged me to do so. There was so much I wanted  to discuss with him. I will always remember Aurelio as a great collaborator  for his kindness, mathematical insights, and humor. He was a good friend as  well. My sabbatical in Genova was very special because of Marco, Pino, and Aurelio. My condolences to the categories group.

> Marta Bunge
>
> On 2012-12-11, at 6:08 PM, "Robert FC Walters" <rfcwalters@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It is with great sadness I write to let you know that our friend
>> Aurelio Carboni died peacefully this morning, 11 December 2012.
>>
>> We had been friends and collaborators since I first met him in 1980.
>> I know that all of you who knew him personally will share my distress at
>> his passing.
>> We remember his friendship, his spirit, his humour and his passion for
>> mathematical research.
>> It is a great loss to the Category Theory community.
>>
>> best regards
>> Bob Walters

* Re: Aurelio Carboni
@ 2012-12-12 11:39 ` George Janelidze
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: George Janelidze @ 2012-12-12 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

I am one of many who will never forget Aurelio's talent and vision of
mathematics, and his friendship and support.

George Janelidze

> It is with great sadness I write to let you know that our friend
> Aurelio Carboni died peacefully this morning, 11 December 2012.
>
> We had been friends and collaborators since I first met him in 1980.
> I know that all of you who knew him personally will share my distress at
> his passing.
> We remember his friendship, his spirit, his humour and his passion for
> mathematical research.
> It is a great loss to the Category Theory community.
>
> best regards
> Bob Walters

* Re: Aurelio Carboni
@ 2012-12-11 21:34 ` Eduardo J. Dubuc
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Eduardo J. Dubuc @ 2012-12-11 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert FC Walters; +Cc: categories

Indeed, a great loss. Men with intellectual honesty, integrity and
mathematical talent like him are few in the Category Theory community. I
compare him with another great loss we had, Max Kelly.

e.d.

On 11/12/12 14:57, Robert FC Walters wrote:
> It is with great sadness I write to let you know that our friend
> Aurelio Carboni died peacefully this morning, 11 December 2012.
>
> We had been friends and collaborators since I first met him in 1980.
> I know that all of you who knew him personally will share my distress at
> his passing.
> We remember his friendship, his spirit, his humour and his passion for
> mathematical research.
> It is a great loss to the Category Theory community.
>
> best regards
> Bob Walters

* Aurelio Carboni
@ 2012-12-11 17:57 Robert FC Walters