categories - Category Theory list
* Thanks for this.
@ 2023-10-23 15:56 Michael Barr, Prof.
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Michael Barr, Prof. @ 2023-10-23 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Partly, I am responding to this to train my mailer, but also some information.

After Marta Bunge her web site disappeared.  I wrote to our chairman a month ago asking if this was department policy and would mine disappear when I did.  He has not bothered to respond so I guess I know the answer.  The site is math.mcgill.ca/barr<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/K9pPCvl1g2S1ZoK5tQsH-q?domain=math.mcgill.ca> and it contains essentially all my published papers and books including the two with Charles.  There is one new thing added: my original thesis, retyped.  It is really mainly of historical interest.  The main result is the direct construction of the shuffle idempotents in dimensions 2,3,4.  Since a later paper found an inductive definition for all n, this is probably not interesting.

Any idea why Mount Alison shut down the list?  Computer storage is so cheap these days it hardly seems worth the effort.

Michael

You're receiving this message because you're a member of the Categories mailing list group from Macquarie University. To take part in this conversation, reply all to this message.

View group files<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/categories@mq.edu.au/groupsubscription.ashx?source=EscalatedMessage&action=files&GuestId=4eb9b40c-9b3a-48a5-9781-836e5a171e8b>   |   Leave group<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/categories@mq.edu.au/groupsubscription.ashx?source=EscalatedMessage&action=leave&GuestId=4eb9b40c-9b3a-48a5-9781-836e5a171e8b>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://aka.ms/o365g>

* Re: Thanks for this.
@ 2023-10-24 11:48 ` andrej.bauer
From: andrej.bauer @ 2023-10-24 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Barr, Prof.; +Cc: Categories

The Internet Acrhive has Marta’s web page archived at

https://web.archive.org/web/20220703134737/http://www.math.mcgill.ca/bunge/<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/6ES_CxngGkf8EOpKHw-q_W?domain=web.archive.org>

I checked to see if they capture PDFs as well, and they do, see

https://web.archive.org/web/20230705214848/https://www.math.mcgill.ca/barr/<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Q3PXCyoj8PuDOnGEiN3lFH?domain=web.archive.org>

As for the costs, it’s not the storage that costs money but people who take care of systems and keep them up to date. They need to plug security holes, for which they need to update the operating systems, which triggers web server udpates, which triggers incomaptibilities with old pages, etc.

I do think it’s stupid for academic institutions to delete people’s web pages. It’s analogous to throwing all the books and notes written by a person on a pile in front of the department and burning them, except less ceremonial.

With kind regards,

Andrej

@ 2023-10-31 11:08 ` Dusko Pavlovic
From: Dusko Pavlovic @ 2023-10-31 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Barr, Prof.; +Cc: categories

Hi Mike,

I tried to save your site on https://archive.ph/<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/1zR5CGv0Z6fn4RgYiKl1P0?domain=archive.ph/>. Their mission is to preserve webpages.

Amazingly, though, while the page loads fine for me, archive is getting 404 from it! Universities tend to underpay their network engineers and end up with weird firewall policies. If anyone could simply save the whole web site, put it up on a private node for 30 min, and direct archive to it, archive will save it.

I wouldn't think that the chairman not responding necessarily means that there is a policy about removing people's webpages. All network engineers were someone's students, just like our students often become someone's network engineers. After a while, when it becomes clear that the network is living its life out of anyone's control, the chairpeople give up trying to answer such questions.

I try to remember what the mathematician said in the first Jurassic Park movie: "Nature will find the way."

:)
-- dusko

On Mon, Oct 23, 2023 at 10:10 AM Michael Barr, Prof. <barr.michael@mcgill.ca<mailto:barr.michael@mcgill.ca>> wrote:
Partly, I am responding to this to train my mailer, but also some information.

After Marta Bunge her web site disappeared.  I wrote to our chairman a month ago asking if this was department policy and would mine disappear when I did.  He has not bothered to respond so I guess I know the answer.  The site is math.mcgill.ca/barr<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/4s6MCK1DOrCKWNJET3dnMc?domain=math.mcgill.ca> and it contains essentially all my published papers and books including the two with Charles.  There is one new thing added: my original thesis, retyped.  It is really mainly of historical interest.  The main result is the direct construction of the shuffle idempotents in dimensions 2,3,4.  Since a later paper found an inductive definition for all n, this is probably not interesting.

View group files<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/6-GBCL7Eg9fq9rvjTmlNnx?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Leave group<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/npbYCMwGj8CP31lOCQ3iNU?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/C_paCNLJxkiL38Rlf02O8a?domain=aka.ms>

@ 2023-11-01 16:03   ` Kevin Arlin
From: Kevin Arlin @ 2023-11-01 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Barr, Prof.; +Cc: categories, Dusko Pavlovic

Hi Mike,

Happy to report that your site is safely archived on the Wayback Machine, as seen here: https://web.archive.org/web/20231101160028/https://www.math.mcgill.ca/barr/<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/nP6pCoV1Y2S91p2Di1iQ7D?domain=web.archive.org/>

Your retyped thesis seems to have been uploaded recently and was missing but I was able to request a fresh capture of the site to day and it’s now present.

I think Dusko’s archive may have been into an issue with McGill math changing their domain name; it seems unreliable to get to the old domain where your site is hosted.

Best,
Kevin Arlin

On Oct 31, 2023, at 4:08 AM, Dusko Pavlovic <duskgoo@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Mike,

I tried to save your site on https://archive.ph/<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/ny8wCp81gYCkJE49iDS6nF?domain=archive.ph/>. Their mission is to preserve webpages.

[...]

After Marta Bunge her web site disappeared.  I wrote to our chairman a month ago asking if this was department policy and would mine disappear when I did.  He has not bothered to respond so I guess I know the answer.  The site is math.mcgill.ca/barr<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/sjJHCr810kCMz3QrCyIwSD?domain=math.mcgill.ca> and it contains essentially all my published papers and books including the two with Charles.  There is one new thing added: my original thesis, retyped.  It is really mainly of historical interest.  The main result is the direct construction of the shuffle idempotents in dimensions 2,3,4.  Since a later paper found an inductive definition for all n, this is probably not interesting.

View group files<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/LYSyCvl1g2S1P0wEfof5jU?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Leave group<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/JRKkCwV1jpS64ZlvS8idMJ?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Ad1WCxngGkf8gqELU2Iiyb?domain=aka.ms>

@ 2023-11-07  7:52 ` Urs Schreiber
From: Urs Schreiber @ 2023-11-07  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Barr, Prof.; +Cc: categories