categories - Category Theory list
* "MENS: a categorical model for Emergence and Consciousness" by Andrée Ehresmann
@ 2021-01-19 14:43 Venkata Rayudu Posina
From: Venkata Rayudu Posina @ 2021-01-19 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear All,

Happy New Year :-)

I thought you might find the upcoming seminar by Professor Andrée
Ehresmann interesting.

thanking you,
yours truly,
posina

Andrée Ehresmann

MENS: a categorical model for Emergence and Consciousness

Abstract:

How do mental processes up to consciousness arise from the functioning
of the brain? That is the question raised in MENS, an application to
neuro-cognitive systems of the categorical model MES [1]. It is
constructed as a Hierarchical Evolutive System having for level 0 the
Evolutive System Neur (= sheaf of 'neural categories'). Its higher
level components, called cat(egory)-neurons, are constructed via
successive complexification processes of Neur. A cat-neuron represents
a 'mental object' modeled as the colimit of a neural pattern it may
activate; it has multiple "physical realizabilities" due to Edelman's
"degeneracy of the neural code", which we model by the 'Multiplicity
Principle'. This MP allows studying emergent properties in MENS and
showing they support an "emergentist reductionism" (in the sense of
Mario Bunge). MP also allows for the development of a
Neurophenomenology (in the sense of Varela).

The dynamic of MENS is controlled by a network of 'co-regulators',
each operating on its own landscape. Through successive
complexificaions they develop a robust though flexible Memory, with a
higher level, the Archetypal Core. This AC plays a main role for
consciousness by allowing the formation of a "Global Workshop" in
which a retrospection/prospection process can detect conscious events.

[1] Ehresmann & Vanbremeersch, Memory Evolutive Systems, Elsevier 2007

Andrée Ehresmann is Emeritus Professor at the 'Universiité de Picardie
Jules Verne' (where she was Professor since 1968), attached to its
LAMFA (CNRS Unit). She is a pure mathematician, with an initial
formation in Analysis and Control systems where she introduced
categorical methods. In the late 60's she developed, together with
Charles Ehresmann (her late husband), sketch theory and internal (e.g.
multiple) categories. Since the 90's she has been developing the
'Memory Evolutive Systems' (MES) together with Jean-Paul Vanbremeersch
(a physician), a categorical model for dynamic hierarchical
multi-agent systems such as biological or social systems. MENS is an
application of MES to neuro-cognitive systems.

This talk will take place on

Friday, January 22

15:00 Berlin Time

Link to join the meeting:

https://lmu-munich.zoom.us/j/6504653291?pwd=TE5aZWFRa0Z0NkRjZFIvSWdtazZqQT09

Meeting password: 935244

When joining for the first time, please read our how to join
information. If you're having problems when joining, please refer to
the troubleshooting information you can find on the same page.

Our mailing address is:
Mathematical Consciousness Science Online Seminar
Munich Center for Mathematical Philosophy
Geschwister-Scholl-Platz 1
Munich 80539
Germany

* Re: categories: "MENS: a categorical model for Emergence and Consciousness" by Andrée Ehresmann
@ 2021-01-22  8:23 ` Venkata Rayudu Posina
From: Venkata Rayudu Posina @ 2021-01-22  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Professor Andrée Ehresmann's seminar recording will be available at:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Eq7alQ9gJgAVhVS3IcvQw

Mathematical Consciousness Science website:

https://seminar.math-consciousness.org/

thank you,
posina