categories - Category Theory list
From: "Marta Bunge" <martabunge@hotmail.com>
To: categories@mta.ca
Subject: re: cracks and pots
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 11:24:25 -0500	[thread overview]

Hi,

I thought that my intention in raising the issues that I did in my original
posting of March 12 were clear enough. Now it seems that they were not, to
some.

1.
I find ridiculous the suggestion put forward by Robert Dawson (March
23)  that my presumed "call for collective action against an entire field
of research seems uncomfortably close to an organized boycott, an extreme
breach of tradition that only an emergency -if that - could justify it".

The invention of an alleged "boycott" plot seems aimed at dismissing the
questions that I (and other concerned mathematicians who joined the
discussion) have raised. Anybody who, like Robert Dawson, resorts to such
inventions appears to be panicking in that he is trying to divert attention
from, rather than help, a healthy discussion.

2.
Eduardo Dubuc writes: "I do not agree necessarily with Marta's implicit
views". There is nothing implicit in my views. Just take a second look at my
various postings of March 14, 15, and 17 in reply to some people. If Eduardo
refers to my bringing in the Templeton Foundation into the discussion, then
I would like to add some comments, partly expanding (and correcting) my
reply to Vincent Schmitt (March 17).

I can back up my contentions in reference to the the Goedel Centenary
Symposium in Vienna

http://www.logic.at/goedel2006/

and the workshop organized by A. Connes at the Sir Isaac Newton Institue in
Cambridge (Non Commutative Algebra)

http://www.newton.cam.ac.uk/programmes/NCG/ncgw02

I should, however, make more precise my reference to the Perimeter Institute
for Mathematical Physicts. What sems clear is that one of its most prominent
long-term researchers is at the same time one of the prominent particpants
in Templeton funding and activties, for instance the Foundational Questions
Institute. I quote from the last issue of Nature

http://www.fqxi.org/about.html

"Phycists to confront those big questions. Time travel, multiple universes
and extraterrestrial intelligence seem more the purview of Star Trek
scriptwriters than of serious researchers. (...) The FQI was set up last
October with a grant from the Templeton Foundation, which promotes research
at the boundary of religion and science. With US$8 million in seed money,
the FQI will fund dozens of researcher's part-time work on these questions.
(...) "I am very happy to see that a project has started to address these
needs" says Lee Smolin of the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in
Waterloo, Ontario, who is also on the FQI's scientific advisory board.  --
Geoff Brumfield. Nature.
2 March 2006."

I stated incorrectly that the Pi is devoted to String Theory, when it seems,
judging from the work of Lee Smolin, that Pi rather promotes Loop Quantum
Gravity, a competitor to String Theory. By the way, an article by Lee Smolin
entitled "Atoms of Space and Time" on LQG has been issued already three
times (with minor variations) in Scientific American (200, 2004, 2006), so
many of you must have seen it.

3.
I have never suggested that "an entire field of research" should be suspect
of constituting bad mathematics. If by this entire field of research it is
meant n-categories, theta-categories, operads, topological quantum theories,
and so on, there is, as in any other field, good and bad mathematics.
Perhaps I should bring to your attention my comments to the organizers of
the StreetFest, requested
by them of all participants, and posted in their website as

http://streetfest.maths.mq.edu.au/feedback?lastname=Bunge&firstname=Marta

I stand by this, and only hope that my remarks in the "cracks and pots"
postings have not been misinterpreted by the people mentioned in my comment
above, and by others, like Ieke Moerdijk, not mentioned in it since they
were not there.

4.
I also think that a problem persists in the emphasis given to the "you do
not want to know" general message in Baez postings, not because of them
intrinsically, or of himself, but of the use others (for what purposes, I do
not know) are making of this general trend. One instance of this trend
(although in a different casting) is the following

http://www.math.uchicago.edu/~eugenia/morality/

of a lecture that Eugenia Cheng gave in Cambridge last year.

With best wishes for (and absolute faith in) category theory,
Marta

Marta Bunge
Professor Emerita
Dept of Mathematics and Statistics