categories - Category Theory list
From: selinger@mathstat.dal.ca (Peter Selinger)
To: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: cracks and pots
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 10:28:57 -0400 (AST)	[thread overview]

I just returned from a vacation and caught up with this thread, so
please bear with me as I back up to the central question posed by
Marta Bunge. She suggested that

> anything which even remotedly claims to have applications to physics
> (particularly string theory) is given (what I view as) uncritical
> support in our circles.

Is there any evidence to support this claim? I.e., actual examples
where such research was disproportionally supported that was
uncritical and perhaps unwarranted? There have been several posts
seemingly agreeing that this is the case, but none have given concrete
evidence.  I feel that it is necessary to establish that such
practices indeed exist, before discussing what, if anything, needs to
be done about it. Can one rule out another possibility, namely that
such research is supported because it is original, timely, and
interesting?

-- Peter