categories - Category Theory list
* Web-based category theory demonstrations
@ 2009-01-07 16:12 Jocelyn Paine
From: Jocelyn Paine @ 2009-01-07 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

This is to reannounce a selection of Web-based category theory
demonstrations that I've put up at
http://www.j-paine.org/cgi-bin/webcats/webcats.php .

The page contains a number of buttons such as "generate and demonstrate an
equaliser" and "generate and demonstrate a limit". Clicking on one will
generate an example of the construct in the category of finite sets, and
display it as a listing of its objects and arrows, and as a diagram. My
latest demo generates examples of exponential objects, using the same
notation as the Wikipedia article at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_object .

Bug reports, and suggestions for improvement, would be very welcome.

Jocelyn Paine
http://www.j-paine.org
http://www.spreadsheet-factory.com

* Re: Web-based category theory demonstrations
@ 2008-10-28 11:41 Jocelyn Paine
From: Jocelyn Paine @ 2008-10-28 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Thanks to the people who commented on my demonstrations. Unfortunately,
I've had to disable these for the moment, because something is hammering
the site and overwhelming my file quota with the number of image files
created. (I'm on a commercial ISP, so resources are a bit tight.) I
suspect that since I released the links, they've been grabbed by robots,
so I need to look into that, and also be quicker at deleting old files.
I'll post when that's sorted out.

Jocelyn Paine
http://www.j-paine.org
http://www.spreadsheet-parts.org
http://www.spreadsheet-factory.com
+44 (0)7768 534 091

* Web-based category theory demonstrations
@ 2008-10-27 17:32 Jocelyn Paine
From: Jocelyn Paine @ 2008-10-27 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

I'd like to announce a selection of Web-based category theory
demonstrations that I've put up at
http://www.j-paine.org/cgi-bin/webcats/webcats.php . The page contains a
number of buttons such as "generate and demonstrate an equaliser" and
"generate and demonstrate a limit": clicking on one will generate
an example of the construct in the category of finite sets, and display it
as a listing of its objects and arrows, and as a diagram. For limits and
colimits, the demos generate a small random graph, convert it to a
diagram, then compute and display its limit or colimit.

Comments would be very welcome. The demos are a bit of an experiment: I
had some categorical algorithms lying around from other work, and thought
it would be interesting to connect them to the Web.

Jocelyn Paine
http://www.j-paine.org/