categories - Category Theory list
* Re: terminology in definitions of limits
@ 2009-01-22 11:16 mail.btinternet.com
From: mail.btinternet.com @ 2009-01-22 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: catbb

Without getting into discussion of the `game' aspect, I feel category
theorists should speak out against the epsilon-delta approach to limits as
against the neighbourhood
                       f(M) \subseteq N
approach, where the notation easily describes  the pictures. The
epsilon-delta approach is in terms of measurement of a neighbourhood, i.e.
one step away from the neighbourhood, and less actual (I almost wrote
`real'!), and students find that step difficult.  The utility of
epsilon-delta is in terms of calculation, rather than geometry and
structure.

The  `only measurable things are real' approach is based on the notion that
numbers are the most important aspect of science, rather than one tool to
investigate  structure.

Ronnie

* Re: terminology in definitions of limits
@ 2009-01-22 12:07 Eduardo J. Dubuc
From: Eduardo J. Dubuc @ 2009-01-22 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wells, catbb

of course, by choice (and many times without choice), there are lots of
functions \delta = f(\epsilon). It is a good question to see when there is a
continous such "f".

e.d.

@ 2009-01-22 11:17 Richard Garner
From: Richard Garner @ 2009-01-22 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

I have always used the phrase "test object" in a slightly
different sense. Namely, to refer to a tractably small
collection of objects that one may use, not only to detect,
but also to calculate some right adjoint. Thus in Set, one
may take the terminal object; in Set/X, the elements 1-->X;
in Cat, the ordinals 1, 2 and 3; in presheaf categories, the
representables; and so on. The best case is that these test
objects are colimit dense, since then your calculations
always yield a right adjoint as soon as the functor you start
with preserves colimits.

Richard

* Re: terminology in definitions of limits
@ 2009-01-22  1:47 Michael Barr
From: Michael Barr @ 2009-01-22  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wells, catbb

This is getting peripheral to the main point.  AS far as I recall, I
thought of T as a test object.  As for epsilon-delta, Bishop required that
delta be prescribed as a constructible function of epsilon in order that a
function be continuous.  He required that the convergence be uniform on
every closed interval, so that this function on a closed interval was
independent of the points in the interval.

Michael

@ 2009-01-21 18:01 John Baez
From: John Baez @ 2009-01-21 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear Categorists -

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 11:34 PM, Vaughan Pratt <pratt@cs.stanford.edu>wrote:

> Colin McLarty wrote:
>
>> I often call them "test objects" in talking with students (by analogy with
>> "test particles" in General Relativity).  I don't think I have ever done it
>> in print.
>

> From a game-theoretic standpoint one can be either taking the test or
> administering it.   [..]  What you're calling a "test" object there is for
> me merely the variable being universally quantified over in the definition
> of "all."

 When I teach limits I call Colin's "test object" a "competitor" to the true
limit, or "pretender to the throne", and describe the universal property as
saying "whatever you can do, I can do better".

This game-theoretic approach to universal properties becomes more
interesting when dealing with n-categorical weak limits: the two players
take turns making moves.  First the proponent picks a cone, then the
challenger picks a cone, then the proponent picks a map between cones, then
the challenger picks a map between cones, then the proponent picks a map
between maps between cones, etc..

This idea is important in opetopic n-categories, and there's also an
omega-categorical version - a nice discussion appears starting at the bottom
of page 32 of this paper by Makkai:

http://www.math.mcgill.ca/makkai/equivalence/equivinpdf/equivalence.pdf

"The Hero has to answer each move of the Challenger [...] If Hero can keep
it up forever, he wins; otherwise he loses."

Best,
jb

* Re: terminology in definitions of limits
@ 2009-01-21 16:48 Charles Wells
From: Charles Wells @ 2009-01-21 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vaughan Pratt, catbb

--
professional website: http://www.cwru.edu/artsci/math/wells/home.html
blog: http://www.gyregimble.blogspot.com/

* Re: terminology in definitions of limits
@ 2009-01-21  7:34 Vaughan Pratt
From: Vaughan Pratt @ 2009-01-21  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Colin McLarty wrote:
> I often call them "test objects" in talking with students (by analogy
> with "test particles" in General Relativity).  I don't think I have ever
> done it in print.  But I did use "T" as the typical name of such an
> object in my book.
>
> I am curious to know what others think.

 From a game-theoretic standpoint one can be either taking the test or

@ 2009-01-20 17:15 Colin McLarty

From: Paul Taylor @ 2009-01-20 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Peter E observed that
> each definition of a limit which I've seen contains something
> I would describe as a "probe object" or "test object"
although I am not sure whether his question is about the name for
this (for which either of his suggestions is reasonable), or what.

Limits are, of course, examples of right adjoints, and the situation
that Peter describes is a case of the adjoint correspondence

   (considered as a trivial diagram) test object  ----->  diagram
                            test object ------>  limit of diagram

So the left adjoint is a "forgetful" functor,  which takes the test
object and considers it as a trivial diagram,  ie with identities
as edges.

Giving the test object a "name" in the sense of an English word
is not such a big deal.

However, I would argue that it is important to give it a "name"
in the sense of using a particular letter uniformly for it.

For this purpose, I propose the Greek letter capital Gamma.

The reason for this choice is that the same role is played in
symbolic logic by the "context",  ie the collection of parameters,
along with their types and hypotheses,  that occurs in any
mathematical statement.   In type theory, the letter Gamma is
traditionally and uniformly used for this purpose.

(Can some type or proof theorist tell me who introduced or
established this convention?)

Indeed, I use this convention both for this test object and for
other parts of the anatomy of an adjunction systematically throughout
my book, "Practical Foundations of Mathematics"  (CUP, 1999).

In so far as there was a previous convention in category theory for
the name of this object, it was "U".  This came from sheaf theory,
where, by the Yoneda lemma, we need only consider maps from
hom(-,U), where U belongs to the base category.  This category was
primordially the lattice of open subsets of a topological space,
so the convention came from that of using "U" for an open set.
I believe that German-speaking authors were responsible for this,
though I don't know what German word it was that began with U.

Speaking of sheaf theory,  when and to whom was it first apparent
that the category of sheaves depends only on the lattice of open
sets, and not on the points of a topological space?

Paul Taylor
www.PaulTaylor.EU
pt09 @ PaulTaylor.EU

* terminology in definitions of limits