categories - Category Theory list
* categories: Re:  bicategory of fractions and homotopy category
@ 2009-01-27 18:54 Michael Shulman
From: Michael Shulman @ 2009-01-27 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Roberts, Categories list

Hi David,

This is something I've thought about as well.  If your model category
is a Cat-model category, then by Hovey's general results on enriched
model categories, its homotopy category is automatically enriched over
Ho(Cat), the category of categories and natural-isomorphism-classes of
functors.  A Ho(Cat)-enriched category is like a "bicategory without
coherence," and the question is about lifting that structure to a
coherent bicategory.

However, in this case I believe you can actually always obtain a
strict 2-category equivalent to the bicategory of fractions by just
looking at the full sub-2-category of your model 2-category spanned by
the fibrant and cofibrant objects.  Since any Ho(Cat)-category that is
equivalent (as a Ho(Cat)-category) to a bicategory must itself
underlie a bicategory, you can use this to get a "homotopy bicategory"
without needing the calculus of fractions (which model category theory
is basically designed to avoid).

There is lots of good stuff about Cat-model categories in Steve Lack's
paper "Homotopy-theoretic aspects of 2-monads":
http://arxiv.org/abs/math.CT/0607646.

Best,
Mike

@ 2009-01-27 21:26 Steve Lack
From: Steve Lack @ 2009-01-27 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Roberts, categories

Dear David,

I have written about this sort of thing in the paper

Homotopy-theoretic aspects of 2-monads, Journal of Homotopy and Related
Structures 2:229-260, 2007; also arXiv:math.CT/0607646.

Regards,

Steve Lack.