categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Kantor dust
@ 2009-02-01 18:18 gcuri
From: gcuri @ 2009-02-01 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Further references on the constructive presentation of Cantor space are:

1. P. Martin-Lof,  Notes on Constructive Mathematics. Almqvist and Wiksell,
1970.

2. M. Fourman, R. Grayson, Formal Spaces. In: The L.E.J. Brouwer Centenary
Symposium,  A.S. Troelstra and D. van Dalen, eds. North Holland, 1982, pp.
107-122.

Compactness of Cantor space is equivalent to the fan theorem which is equivalent
to spatiality of formal Cantor space (Cantor locale).

Best regards,

        Giovanni Curi

Quoting Paul Taylor <pt09@PaulTaylor.EU>:

> [...]
> long before I became a constructivist of any kind, so I don't know
> whether there are any constructive subtleties associated with this view.
>
> I think of Cantor as the exponential  2^N,  so FOR EXAMPLE it makes
> sense to talk about it in any CCC, or a topos.   However, the
> interesting question is what it looks like as a TOPOLOGICAL SPACE,
> in the many different interpretations of that phrase.
>
> We can do topology starting from the points, or starting from the
> open sets.  In the latter case, these have a basis whose members are
> named by FINITE sets of integers:  a point of Cantor space is a
> decidable (possibly) infinite set of integers, and lies in a basic
> open set if the infinite set includes the finite one.
>
> The first interesting mathematical question is this: if we define
> Cantor space starting from its points, but take these to be given
> by TOTAL RECURSIVE FUNCTIONS  N-->2,  and then put the topology
> that I have just mentioned on it,  what are the properties of this
> topology?   In particular, is it compact?
>
> The answer is no, because of the "Kleene Tree".  This is a computably
> defined infnite tree that has no infinite computable path.  There
> are many descriptions of this, including one by Andrej Bauer:
> math.andrej.com/2006/04/25/konigs-lemma-and-the-kleene-tree/
>
> The second interesting mathematical point is that, by looking at the
> open sets instead of the points as our formulation of topology, the
> answer is different.
>
> The whole of this discussion can be conducted using the closed real
> interval in place of Cantor space,  so many things are better
> documented in the literature for one example rather than the other.
> In particular, compactness of the interval has more careful
> descriptions in:
>
> LOCALE THEORY: Michael Fourman and Martin Hyland, "Sheaf models for
>   analysis", in Michael Fourman, Chris Mulvey, and Dana Scott, editors,
>   "Applications of Sheaves", number 753 in Lecture Notes in Mathematics,
>   pages 280--301. Springer-Verlag, 1979.
>
> FORMAL TOPOLOGY:  Jan Cederquist and Sara Negri, "A constructive proof
>    of the Heine--Borel covering theorem for formal reals", in
>    Stefano Beradi and Mario Coppo, editors, "Types for Proofs and
>    Programs", number 1158 in Lecture Notes in Computer Science,
>    page 6275. Springer-Verlag, 1996.
>
> ABSTRACT STONE DUALITY:  Andrej Bauer and Paul Taylor,  "The Dedekind
>    reals in abstract Stone duality",  www.PaulTaylor.EU/ASD/dedras
>
> I wrote a sketch (not a properly written paper) about the construction
> of Cantor Space in ASD and its compactness in "Tychonov's Theorem in
> ASD",
> www.PaulTaylor.EU/ASD/misclc.php#tyctas
>
> Paul Taylor
>
> PS Please refer to my website as paultaylor.eu, not monad.me.uk, as
> it will be moving home shortly, and I will be better able to ensure
> continuity of service for the name paultaylor.eu,  whilst I would like
> to discontinue monad.me.uk at some stage.

Dipartimento di Matematica Pura ed Applicata
Universita' degli Studi di Padova
www.math.unipd.it

* Re: Kantor dust
@ 2009-02-02  1:16 Vaughan Pratt
From: Vaughan Pratt @ 2009-02-02  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories list

Paul Taylor wrote:
> The first interesting mathematical question is this: if we define
> Cantor space starting from its points, but take these to be given
> by TOTAL RECURSIVE FUNCTIONS  N-->2,  and then put the topology
> that I have just mentioned on it,  what are the properties of this
> topology?   In particular, is it compact?
>
> The answer is no, because of the "Kleene Tree".  This is a computably
> defined infnite tree that has no infinite computable path.  There
> are many descriptions of this, including one by Andrej Bauer:
> math.andrej.com/2006/04/25/konigs-lemma-and-the-kleene-tree/
> [...]
> ABSTRACT STONE DUALITY:  Andrej Bauer and Paul Taylor,  "The Dedekind
>   reals in abstract Stone duality",  www.PaulTaylor.EU/ASD/dedras

In concrete Stone duality, increasing structure on one side is offset by
decreasing structure on the other.  One would hope for a similar
phenomenon in abstract Stone duality.

If we can consider constructivity as part of the structure of an object,
then we should expect that the more constructive some type of object,
the less constructive the "object of all objects of that type."   So for
example if (total) recursive functions are demonstrably more
constructive than partial recursive functions by some criterion, we
should expect the set of all recursive functions to be *less*
constructive than that of partial recursive functions by the same
criterion, rather than more.

The phenomena you're observing here seem entirely consistent with this
principle, and point up the need to be clear, when judging
constructivity in some context, whether it is the collection or the
individuals therein being so judged, with the added complication that
Stone duality makes the roles of collection and individual therein
interchangeable, such as when elements of sets are understood as
ultrafilters of Boolean algebras.

Vaughan Pratt

* Kantor dust
@ 2009-02-01 16:14 Paul Taylor