categories - Category Theory list
From: "Toby Kenney" <tkenney@mathstat.dal.ca>
To: "Vaughan Pratt" <pratt@cs.stanford.edu>, categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: Fixing the constructive continued-fraction definition of the reals: proofs and refutations
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 12:29:48 -0400 (AST)	[thread overview]

Vaughan Pratt wrote in part:

> One notion of underlying object that makes sense for me in the context
> so far is the set E(1,X) of elements of an object X in a topos E.  With
> this notion I have a prayer of making sense of your claim in the contex=
> of the following four objects of a topos E with NNO N (and whatever els=
> if anything is needed to ensure that objects 2-4 exist in E).
>
> 1.  N^2.
>
> 2.  The initial object among all objects X with an element 0: 1 --> X
> and maps s,t: X --> X satisfying st =3D ts.
>
> 3.  As for 2 with ts =3D t in place of st =3D ts.
>
> 4.  As for 3 with st =3D s in place of ts =3D t.

> I could well imagine 1 and 2 turning out to be isomorphic, but I feel I
> would get a lot from seeing the proof of whichever way that goes.
>
> I presume that 3 and 4 are isomorphic on the ground that s and t can be
> mapped to any two endomorphisms whence there must exist an isomorphism
> exchanging s and t.  I imagine I would get less out of a rigorous proof
> of that unless there's a bug in the previous sentence.  If there's no
> bug then this would seem to constitute a subtle difference from algebra=
,
> where the signature labels the operations in a way that prevents such a=
> interchange and puts 3 and 4 in distinct albeit equivalent varieties.
>
> Whether or not 1 and 2 are isomorphic, they are in some sense both
> representations of the ordinary product of N with itself.
>
> Where I have greater difficulty is imagining an isomorphism between 2
> and 3 merely on the ground that they have the same underlying object.
> I'm really not following your logic here.  2 implements product
> concurrently whereas 3 and 4 implement it sequentially.  How could they
> be isomorphic in every topos?  (I can see that they'd have to be
> isomorphic in Set, and presumably certain other toposes which however I
> have no idea how to characterize.)  I regard 3 and 4 as equivalent
> definitions of the ordinal w^2 (w =3D \omega) in a topos.

I=B4m pretty sure the objects (1)-(4) are isomorphic. Here=B4s a sketch o=
f the
proof:

Let X be the object (3), i.e. the initial object with a morphism 0:1---->=
and morphisms s:X---->X, t:X---->X with st=3Ds. Let Y be the object (2),
i.e. the initial object with a morphism 0:1---->Y and morphisms u:Y---->Y=
,
v:Y---->Y.

(1)&(2):
We clearly have maps 0 x 0: 1----> N^2, succ x 1_N and 1_N x succ :
N^2---->N^2, inducing the map Y---->N^2. For an element a of Y, we can
form maps f_{t,a}: N---->Y by 0 ]----> a, succ ]----> t, and f_{s,a} by
0 ]---->a, succ ]----> s. We can now form a map N x N ----> Y by
f(a,b)=3Df_{t,{f_{s,0}(a)}}(b). We can check that these maps form an
isomorphism.

(2)&(3):

Lemma: X is a monoid

We construct the addition X x X---->X by its exponential transpose
X---->X^X. This is the map induced by 1_X:1---->X^X, s^X:X^X---->X^X, and
t^X:X^X---->X^X.

We think of this monoid structure as ordinary ordinal addition.
We now construct morphisms s=B4 and t=B4 X---->X, given by s=B4(x)=3Dx + =
1 and
t=B4(x)=3D\omega + x. It is clear that s=B4 and t=B4 commute. This induce=
s a
morphism Y---->X.

On Y, we can create the projection map p:Y---->N as Y is isomorphic to N =
N. We also have the inclusion i : N ----> N x N given by a ]----> (a,0).
Now ipu and v satisfy ipuv=3Dipu (ipu is the map \_ + \omega. This induce=
s a
map X ----> Y, which will be the inverse of the map Y ----> X.

I will check the details later to make sure. But I would be very surprise=
if there were any problems.

Toby