categories - Category Theory list
From: "Toby Kenney" <tkenney@mathstat.dal.ca>
To: "Vaughan Pratt" <pratt@cs.stanford.edu>,  categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: Fixing the constructive continued-fraction definition of the reals: proofs and refutations
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 18:19:19 -0400 (AST)	[thread overview]

The proof I gave is not quite ideal - I showed that if the objects 1-4 you
list all exist, then they are isomorphic. In theory, it would still be
possible for object 3, say, not to exist. I think the following is a
better proof:

Let X be an object with morphisms 0 : 1 ----> X, s,t : X ----> X such that
ts=t. We want to construct the map N^2 ----> X. We have a map
f : N ----> X, given by considering X with just 0 and t. For every n in N,
we can also form a map g_n : N ----> X by g_n(0)=t^n(0), and g_n(succ)=s.
Now we can form the map h : N^2 ----> X by h(a,b)=g_a(b). I think this
must be the unique map preserving everything necessary.

Your suggestion of relaxing the condition to ts <= t seems to require
changing from ordinary objects to partially-ordered objects. I think the
initial one should be just the free monoid on two generators, with some
partial order. You probably want to insist that s and t be inflationary.
If you´re considering partially-ordered objects, then this won´t be
isomorphic to N^2. I´m not sure whether there will be any isomorphism in
the topos, even without requiring it to preserve order. You could
alternatively consider a condition like t=sts. I´m not really sure what
you mean by your claim that t is the ordinal w - I think the object you
describe isn´t even totally ordered - how can you compare t^2(s(0)) and
t^2(0)? If you take a condition like t=sts to make it totally ordered, you
still have a decreasing chain t > ts > ts^2 > ...

It looks like this should be something like the interval in N x Z,
lexicographically ordered, going from (0,0) (so without the pairs (0,-n)).
If this is still an attempt to construct the reals, then I don´t see any
sensible way to describe addition on an infinite lexicographic product of
copies of Z (the integers).

On the matter of it being disconcerting finding infinite sups, the
definition doesn´t mention any form of partial order, so it shouldn´t
really be any more surprising than finding (Kuratowski) finite sups.

Sorry this email is mostly just intuition, rather than firm fact.
Hopefully some wiser people than I will be able to put more substance to
it.

Toby