categories - Category Theory list
* Axioms of elementary probability
@ 2009-05-09  6:02 David Espinosa
From: David Espinosa @ 2009-05-09  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories

Here's a question about elementary (naive, finitist) probability.
The proper, self-dual axioms for elementary probability are presumably

  P(0) = 0
  P(X) = 1
  P(A u B) + P(A n B) = P(A) + P(B)

P's domain is a boolean algebra.  P's codomain is [0,1].
What kind of algebraic structure is [0,1] in this case?

What can we prove from this theory?  The best I can think of is inclusion /
exclusion:

  P(A u B u C) = P(A) + P(B) + P(C) - P(A n B) - P(A n C) - P(B n C) + P(A n
B n C)
  P(A n B n C) = P(A) + P(B) + P(C) - P(A u B) - P(A u C) - P(B u C) + P(A u
B u C)

Thanks,

David

* Re: Axioms of elementary probability
@ 2009-05-12 15:34 ` Steve Vickers
From: Steve Vickers @ 2009-05-12 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Espinosa, categories

Dear David,

On structure: Domain L (say) just needs to be distributive lattice - not
Boolean algebra.

The axiom P(top) = 1 looks an obvious dual to P(bottom) = 0, but there's
a lot to be gained from considering P with codomain [0,infinity] and
forgetting P(top) = 1.

Maps P: L -> [0,infinity] satisfying P(0) = 0 and the third (modular)
law are called valuations - I believe this dates back to Birkhoff's book
on lattice theory. In the case where L is a frame (complete lattice,
with binary meet distributing over all joins) and P is Scott continuous,
P is called a continuous valuation. These have been studied in domain
theory (Jones, Plotkin: probabilistic power domain) and general locales
(including by Heckmann, by Coquand and Spitters and by myself).

More generally, the domain of P can fruitfully be any commutative monoid
M. There is a universal valuation L -> M(L) in this generalized sense,
with M(L) got by adjoining finite monoid structure to L and forcing the
two laws.

Coquand and Spitter cite an interesting construction of M(L) by Horn and
Tarski. Let L* be the set of finite lists over L, and define a preorder
on L* by

  [x_i]_{1 in I} <= [y_j]_{j in J}

if for every natural number k,

  \/{x_K | K subseteq I, |K| = k} <= \/{y_K' | K' subseteq J, |K'| = k}

where x_K = /\{x_i | i in K} etc.

Then M(L) is isomorphic to L*/(equ reln corresponding to <=).

The relations holding in M(L) are what can be proved from the theory.
You give a ternary inclusion-and-exclusion for P(A u B u C). If you
bring all the negative terms from right to left, it will still hold in
M(L), and can be generalized from ternary to n-ary. I think you will get
the dual (for P(A n B n C)) by considering L^op.

Another interesting relation, which can be used in proving the
Horn-Tarski result, is this:

   Sigma_{i = 0}^{n-1} x_i
      = Sigma_{k = 1}^{m} \/{x_I | I subseteq {0, ..., n-1}, |I| = k}

Regards,

Steve Vickers.

Jones & Plotkin: "A probabilistic powerdomain of evaluations", LICS'89.
Horn & Tarski: "Measures in Boolean algebras", Trans. Amer. Math. Soc.
64 (1948)
Heckmann: "Probabilistic powerdomain, information systems and locales",
MFPS VIII, Springer LNCS 802 (1994)
Vickers: "A localic theory of lower and upper integrals", Math. Logic
Quarterly 54 (2008)
Coquand & Spitters: "Integrals and valuations", Journal of Logic and
Analysis 1:3 (2009

@ 2009-05-15 19:35 Greg Meredith
From: Greg Meredith @ 2009-05-15 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Egger, categories

David,

Here <http://arxiv.org/abs/math-ph/0508006>'s an arXiv reference for the
"cottage industry" i was referring to.

Best wishes,

--greg

@ 2009-05-13 19:59 Greg Meredith
From: Greg Meredith @ 2009-05-13 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Egger, categories

[-- Attachment #1: Type: multipart/alternative, Size: 2545 bytes --]

* Re: Axioms of elementary probability
@ 2009-05-13 13:52 RFC Walters
From: RFC Walters @ 2009-05-13 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories

Readers of the list may be interested in the following paper:
L. de Francesco Albasini, N. Sabadini, R.F.C. Walters, The compositional
construction of Markov processes, arXiv:0901.2434v1, 2009.

We believe that the identification of probability theory with measure
theory should be replaced with a theory based
on processes. To do this the theory of processes needs to be developed
categorically.
I have some comments on my web page about such a development.

RFC Walters

* Re: Axioms of elementary probability
@ 2009-05-12 17:52 Jeff Egger
From: Jeff Egger @ 2009-05-12 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories, Ross Street, David Espinosa

When I took a graduate course in probability, my lecturer began with
a rather fine speech about the relationship between probability and
(finite) measure theory; in it, he discouraged identifying the two.
His point was that, insofar as probabilistic phenomena occur in the
real world, no mathematical theory can aspire to do more than model
probability---and that, while (finite) measure theory has been very
successful at modelling probability, it also has shortcomings.

Intrigued, I sought him out later for more thoughts on the subject.
In the ensuing conversation, I gathered two tidbits of information
which readers of the list may appreciate: that Gromov believes that
the future of probability theory lies in bicategory theory; and that
discontent with measure theory stems, at least in part, from its
failure to adequately handle conditional probabilities.

To be honest, the latter point heartened me even more than the first.
From a purely aesthetic point of view, it has always irked me that one
can meaningfully assign probabilities to things which are not events;
I interpret this as meaning that the (standard) notion of event is too
narrow.  Of course, it is also the case that the (standard) formula
for a conditional probability may result in the indeterminate 0/0, so
it would seem that [0,1] is also too small a codomain for the map
"probability", even classically understood (i.e., not getting into the
"free probability" of Voiculescu).

Cheers,
Jeff.

From: Ross Street @ 2009-05-12  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)