categories - Category Theory list
* RE: Triquotient assignments for geometric morphisms
@ 2009-06-23  7:27 Townsend, Christopher
From: Townsend, Christopher @ 2009-06-23  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barney Hilken, categories

Barney

As far as I am aware, no generalisation of localic triquotient assignments to geometric morphisms has been developed. That's not for want of trying on my part!

A naïve approach would be to define a weak triquotient assignment on a geometric morphism f:F->E to be a filtered colimit preserving functor that is required to interact with the inverse image of f in a manner that mimics the localic case. For this approach to work in a way that is similar to what happens for locales we would need to have a similar way of characterising such filtered colimit preserving functors which, as far as I am aware, is not available (essentially due to the technical difficulty that sheafification is 'two step' for toposes, but only 'one step' for locales). The technical problems here are, in my mind, the same as the more well known problems associated with constructing an upper power topos.

My current view on how to solve this problem is to use localic representations of geometric morphisms. This requires us to re-state the theory of geometric morphisms as adjunctions between categories of locales and to develop 'topos theory' relative to these adjunctions. For example 'Grothendick topos' becomes 'category of localic diagrams of a localic groupoid' in this paradigm. The lower power topos construction should guide us to see how its action effects (the category of actions of) localic groupoids; then by upper/lower symmetry we know what the 'upper' case should be (and hence to weak triquotient assignments on geometric morphisms). Unfortunately getting the symmetry to work even at the much simpler level of bounded geometric morphisms is proving a headache.

If you would like any further detail, please feel free to get in touch.

Regards, Christopher

From: Barney Hilken @ 2009-06-23 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Townsend, Christopher

Hi Christopher & Steve, thanks for your replies.

The version I need is the generalisation of open & proper morphisms
(i.e. some kind of map  f_*\Omega_F  -> \Omega_E) rather than the
generalisation of locally connected & tidy morphisms (some kind of
functor F -> E). As Steve says, I think the results I want follow from
the stability of the hyperconnected-localic factorisation, but I was
hoping someone had written out the details in the style of sections
C3.1 & C3.2 of the Elephant. Looks like I'll have to do it myself.

Barney.

* Re: Triquotient assignments for geometric morphisms
@ 2009-06-23 10:40 Steve Vickers
From: Steve Vickers @ 2009-06-23 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barney Hilken, categories

Dear Barney,

The weak triquotient assignments go along with the double powerlocale
monad PP, since a weak triquotient assignment for f: X -> Y is a map g:
Y -> PP(X) satisfying certain conditions that relate to the strength of
PP. I believe Townsend has published some work on this.

This is similar to how open maps go along with the lower powerlocale P_L
(see my "Locales are not pointless"), though with P_L it is made tighter
using an adjunction that is not available in the PP case, so the open
analogue of triquotient assignment, the map from Y to P_L(X), is
characterized uniquely.

For open maps we know of a trivial generalization to toposes: a
geometric morphism is open if its localic part is an open locale map.
You could probably play the same trick with triquotient assignments, and
 then I think your stability property follows from stability of the
hyperconnected-localic factorization.

However, there is also a more interesting generalization in the case of
open maps, got by generalizing P_L to the symmetric topos construction
M. (This is described in the Elephant, but also, in much more detail, in
the Bunge-Funk book "Singular coverings of toposes". See also my paper
"Cosheaves and connectedness in formal topology".) In fact, Bunge and
Funk have proved that for a locale X, P_L(X) is the localic reflection
of M(X). The relationship between P_L and open maps transfers to one
between M and locally connected geometric morphisms.

Since PP is the composite of (commuting) monads P_U and P_L, where P_U
is the upper powerlocale, one natural approach to a topos generalization
would be try also to generalize P_U.

This generalization seems to be missing in our current state of
knowledge, though I've had some thoughts about it and firmly believe
that it exists.

Regards,

Steve.

@ 2009-06-22 15:48 Barney Hilken