categories - Category Theory list
* Equideductive categories and their logic
@ 2009-06-26  8:54 Paul Taylor
From: Paul Taylor @ 2009-06-26  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories list

               "Equideductive categories and their logic"
                    www.PaulTaylor.EU/ASD/extension

Under the heading "Locally cartesian closed categories",
on 8 October 2007,  I asked whether anybody had investigated
to what extent the true statement but an incorrect definition
> Any topos is a CCC with an internal Heyting algebra,
actually gives rise to interesting structure.  However,
I didn't get much response.

I went on
> Suppose that the category has all FINITE LIMITS (terminal object,
> finite products and equalisers) and POWERS  Sigma^X of an internal
> DISTRIBUTIVE LATTICE (Sigma, top, bot, meet, join).   Maybe there
> is also a natural numbers object N and joins Sigma^N->Sigma with
> the Frobenius law.  (I would also like this to obey the monadic
> and Phoa principles of ASD, but I'm not going to spell them out here.)
>
> Maps X->Sigma give rise to a "geometric logic" of "open" subspaces.
>
> Then the order relation between maps X->Sigma^Y leads to a richer
> logic of "general" subspaces,  with  =>  and  forall_Y.
>
> A logical formula of the more general form consists of geometric
> sub-formulae joined together with  =>  and forall,  to which we might
> add  the other first order connectives as "syntactic sugar", defined
> in the usual classical way.   If a geometric sub-formula is immediately
> enclosed in forall_K or exists_N, where K happens to be compact or
> N overt, then this a priori more general quantifier may be considered
> to be part of the geometric sub-formula.

The draft paper advertised above investigates these ideas.

This work was part of a re-formulation of Dana Scott's equilogical
space construction about which you can find three sets of slides
at www.PaulTaylor.EU/slides/ and the details will follow shortly.

My lengthy posting on "Applications of the Yoneda embedding"
on 20 June 2009 also provides background material for this.

However, it has turned out to be very fruitful to leave the CCC
aside and first consider the properties of a category that "lies
nicely" within its cartesian closed extensions.  The categories
of sets, of sober topological spaces (in the textbook sense) and of
affine varieties have the appropriate properties.  However, because
of the counterexample that I gave in "Aspects of locale theory"
on 9 June 2009, the category of locales does not (products do not
preserve epis).

As I suggested in 2007, the key idea is to study equalisers
targeted at exponentials.   In terms of the Yoneda embedding,
if we have a pair of maps from a representable presheaf to
the exponential (Sigma^-) of another representable, is the
equaliser representable too?  We can reformulate this in the
original category, without using presheaves, as a (kind of)
PARTIAL PRODUCT.   The categories of sets, topological spaces
and affine varieties have these partial products.

(I would like to thank Andrea Schalk, Mike Barr and possibly
Robin Cockett for joining me in banging our heads against the
brick wall of trying to find out whether locales have them too.
Probably they don't, but I'm not sure whether it is this or
something else that goes wrong.)

An EQUIDEDUCTIVE CATEGORY is one that has finite limits,
(my) partial products, an object Sigma that is injective wrt
the monos that arise from partial products, and enough injectives.
It turns out that those objects A that have exponentials Sigma^A
are SOBER in my abstract sense, and the adjunction Sigma^- -| Sigma^-
on this subcategory is monadic.

In other words we have the characteristic properties of the
subcategory of locally compact spaces within the category of
sober topological spaces, without assuming any structure on Sigma
such as being a lattice.

EQUIDEDUCTIVE LOGIC captures this categorical structure in symbolic
form.  It is a predicate calculus whose object language is the
sober lambda calculus.  The chief feature is a quantified implication
that justifies the (recursive) notation
      E = { x:A | All y:B. q(y) => fxy=gxy }
for the equaliser   E >--> A ====> Sigma^Y    where  Y = {b:B | q(y)}.

Note that the predicates that are defined by this logic are general
subobjects, not terms of type Sigma^A.

Using quantification over terms of type Sigma^A, one can define an
"existential quantifier".  This is the most striking aspect of
equideductive logic:  although this is an old idea (maybe due to
Russell) from higher order logic, it turns out to characterise
the EPIs in the category, which have to be preserved by products.

Of course, epis need not be surjective.   For example  N-->>X is
epi amongst sober spaces, where X is the domain of ascending
natural numbers, with T=oo.   This means that one has to be
EXTREMELY careful in using this quantifier -- it only has a
restricted Frobenius law and doesn't allow substitution -- but
I think that it will turn out to be very useful.  For example,
Scott continuity can be expressed in the form that, for phi:Sigma^N,
"there exists" a finite set S such that  phi n <=> n in S.
What this means is that it is sufficient to test this case when
proving equality of terms of type Sigma.

We recover topology (in the style of ASD) by requiring SOME of
these quantifiers to agree with structure on Sigma.  That is,
a space {x:A|p(x)}  is compact or overt if the PREDICATE given
by quantification of a term of type Sigma^A agreed with another
term of type Sigma.

On the other hand, and coming back to the question at the top
of this posting, we recover set theory (ie an elementary topos)
by requiring ALL quantifiers to agree with operators on Sigma.

I trust that I will not hear any further repetition of the claim
that ASD is restricted to locally compact spaces.  This paper
essentially replaces "Subspaces in ASD" and the monadic lambda
calculus.  It also fills in several gaps in other papers, such
as allowing equational hypotheses and constructing the compact
and overt subspaces that are described by modal operators.

Paul Taylor

only message in thread, other threads:[~2009-06-26  8:54 UTC | newest]