categories - Category Theory list
* Re:  Yoneda Theorem < Yoneda Lemma < Dense Yoneda Theorem
@ 2009-07-06  0:31 Michael Shulman
From: Michael Shulman @ 2009-07-06  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vaughan Pratt, categories

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 11:11 PM, Vaughan Pratt<pratt@cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
> (Incidentally, of what use are non-free cocompletions?  Is there any
> reason not to define "cocompletion" to make it free?  I seem to recall
> people being happy to drop "free" in this context.  Who ordered "free"?)

To me the unadorned word "completion" connotes an idempotent operation,
which the free (co)completion of a category is not.  A more precise term
would be "free cocomplete category generated by."  Unlike most other uses
of "complete" in mathematics, completeness of a category is not a property
but a "property-like structure."

Mike

* Re: Yoneda Theorem < Yoneda Lemma < Dense Yoneda Theorem
@ 2009-07-10 16:07 Peter Selinger
From: Peter Selinger @ 2009-07-10 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pratt, categories

Michael Shulman wrote:
> To me the unadorned word "completion" connotes an idempotent operation

The presheaf category [C^op,Set] is a co-completion of C. Its full
subcategory of limit-preserving functors is another co-completion of
C. Both are "free", but with respect to a different criterion: the
Yoneda embedding into the first one does not preserve existing
colimits, whereas into the second one it does.

In particular, the second operation is idempotent (up to equivalence
of categories) if C is already co-complete (this also follows from the
adjoint functor theorem). It would therefore qualify as a "completion"
in the sense that Mike Shulman mentioned.

Any co-complete category between these two extremes is presumably also
a (non-free) co-completion.

-- Peter

* Yoneda Theorem < Yoneda Lemma < Dense Yoneda Theorem
@ 2009-06-29  4:11 Vaughan Pratt
From: Vaughan Pratt @ 2009-06-29  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories

(This continues the "no fundamental theorems please" thread under a more
apropos heading.)

On 6/24/2009 8:17 AM, Steve Vickers wrote:
 > Vaughan Pratt wrote:
 >> ...  The Yoneda Lemma usually states that J embeds (meaning
 >> fully) in [J^op,Set], ...
 > The usual statement is significantly stronger than that (see e.g. Mac
 > Lane, Mac Lane and Moerdijk, or Wikipedia). It says that, for
 > contravariant functors F: C ->  Set, the elements of FX are in bijection
 > with transformations to F from the representable functor for X. Your
 > statement can be deduced by considering the particular case where F too
 > is representable.

Quite right, I should have used something other than "lemma" for that
weaker statement.  Misplaced force of habit.

Googling "Theorem 5.1 (Yoneda)" returns section 5, on full completeness,
of Phil Scott's nice Handbook of Algebra chapter.  Phil introduces that
section with "The most basic representation theorem of all is the Yoneda
embedding: Theorem 5.1 (Yoneda) If J is locally small, the Yoneda
functor Y: J --> [J^op,Set], where Y(j) = J(-,j), is a fully faithful
embedding."

(Phil's A is my J, which I'll use throughout as the base whether small
or not in order to make it easier to compare theorems.)

If "theorem" is good enough for Phil it's good enough for me.  For
definiteness let's name the theorems as follows.

YT (Yoneda Theorem): [J^op,Set] fully extends J.

YL (Yoneda Lemma): For any functor F: J^op --> Set and object j of J,
F(j) is in bijection with [J^op,Set](J(-,j),F).  (This replaces C in
Steve's version with J^op.)

DYT (Dense Yoneda Theorem):  C is equivalent to a category of presheaves
on a *small* category J if and only if C densely extends J.

Here a category of presheaves on J means a full subcategory of
[J^op,Set] containing the functors J(-,j) for all objects j of J (that
is, "on J" qualifies not just the individual presheaves but the whole
category of them, as in "free group on X"(*)).  C densely extends J just
when there exists a full, faithful, and dense functor K: J --> C.  (If
someone has a use for a broader notion of dense extension I wouldn't
object to saying "fully densely extends.")

For now assume "dense" is defined as in X.6 of CWM, namely that every
object of C arises as a colimit of FP for the evident functor P: (K,c)
--> J, (K,c) being the comma category whose morphisms are of the form
Kj-->c, j in ob(J).  (I'll consider equivalent ways of defining density
in a followup message.)  This has the effect of representing each object
c of C as the presheaf C(K-,c): J^op --> Set (namely C(Kj,c) is the set
of morphisms of (K,c) of the form Kj-->c) and each homset C(c,d) as
[J^op,Set](C(K-,c),C(K-,d)) (that is, Nat(C(K-,c),C(K-,d)) in the CWM
notation Steve is using), via the adjunction defining "colimit."

The homsets [J^op,Set](J(-,j),F) used by YL (and hence YT) are always
small even if J isn't.  DYT however deals with arbitrary homsets
[J^op,Set](F,G), which may be large when J is, whence DYT's requirement
that J be small.  (Steve Lack would be the person to ask what form DYT
might take for large J.)

The applicability of YL and YT to large J makes them incomparable with
DYT.  However if we require J to be small then we have YT < YL < DYT in
the sense that each of them represents entities by using progressively
more of [J^op,Set].  YT uses just the image of the Yoneda embedding to
represent J, YL takes one step beyond YT by using all the homsets from
that image to an arbitrary presheaf in [J^op,Set] to represent carriers
of algebras with unary operations (aka presheaves), and DYT takes one
more step than YL by using homsets between more general presheaves of
[J^op,Set] to represent *all* homsets of C.

Replacing "equivalent to" by "representable as" in DYT makes more
explicit the sense in which DYT is unambiguously a representation
theorem for certain abstractly defined categories, namely dense
extensions of a small category, which are of greater generality than the
categories contemplated in YT or YL.

 > There can be no doubt that this strong Yoneda Lemma is vitally important
 > when calculating with presheaves - for example, it shows immediately how
 > to calculate exponentials and powerobjects. If F and G are two
 > presheaves, then the exponential G^F is calculated by
 >
 >     G^F(X) = nt(Y(X), G^F)    (by Yoneda's Lemma)
 >            = nt(Y(X) x F, G)  (by definition of exponential)

I would only buy that reasoning for small J (otherwise why should G^F be
a functor to Set?), where YL isn't benefiting from the additional
generality of YL over DYT.  Is there any other reason to prefer YL to
DYT?  It doesn't seem a very natural candidate for theorem-hood (perhaps
that's why it's relegated to the status of a lemma).  It's hard to argue
for it as the fundamental theorem of CT when it's sandwiched in between
YT and DYT, both of which *do* come across as real theorems (the reason
I'm comfortable calling both of them theorems).  Anyone remember the
history of why YL rose to the top?

 > I don't think you can get it and its useful consequences from your
 > weaker statement, even if you start strengthening yours in the way you
 > suggest by supplying converses.

Don't underestimate the power of the converse.  YL < DYT because it's
only a partial converse, DYT is the whole thing.

 > Another closely related and important result, though not known as
 > Yoneda's Lemma as far as I know, is that the presheaf category over C is
 > a free cocompletion of C, and the Yoneda embedding is the injection of
 > generators.

The colimit-based definition of dense functor shows that this is pretty
much equivalent to DYT and therefore stronger than YL in what I take to
be the sense in which you consider YL stronger than YT. (Is there a
stronger sense of "stronger," e.g. a natural nonstandard model in which
YT is true and YL false, or YL true and DYT false?)

Michael Shulman's comment about the enriched case is apropos here:
defining cocompletion for conical (co)limits isn't sufficient when V
doesn't permit them (for want of diagonal functors).  This limitation
can be avoided with left Kan extensions as treated in Chapter 4 of
Kelly, "Basic Concepts of Enriched Category Theory."  Kelly arrives at
the notion of free cocompletion 15 pages into Chapter 4 and long after
indexed (nowadays weighted) colimits (Chapter 3) as a satisfactory
generalization of conical colimits.

(Incidentally, of what use are non-free cocompletions?  Is there any
reason not to define "cocompletion" to make it free?  I seem to recall
people being happy to drop "free" in this context.  Who ordered "free"?)

This post is quite long enough already so I'll stop it here with the
interesting question (to me anyway), what is the earliest point in the
development of (ordinary or unenriched) category theory at which one can
introduce either cocompletion or density in order to have functors that
are dense, full, and faithful?  Can either be usefully introduced before
functor categories, for example?  And can this be done with sufficient
generality to carry over essentially unchanged to the enriched case?  I
imagine this would reduce to just avoiding conical colimits.

Vaughan Pratt

(*) But not as in "free beer on Stallman."