categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Sheaf toposes and chain-complete posets
@ 2009-07-28  5:44 Andrej Bauer
From: Andrej Bauer @ 2009-07-28  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories list

Dear categorists,

I should have asked a different question: what does a chain-complete
_lattice_ which is not complete look like in a sheaf topos? Is there
such a thing?

(Thanks to Fred Linton who pointed out that I could just take a flat
order and multiply it with a complete one, thus gettting a poset which
has very few interesting chains but is not at all complete.)

With kind regards,

Andrej

* Re: Sheaf toposes and chain-complete posets
@ 2009-07-28  8:35 Sam Staton
From: Sam Staton @ 2009-07-28  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrej Bauer, categories

Dear Andrej, when you say "complete" but not "chain-complete", do you
mean "directed complete"?

Here is (I think) an example that is also natural and relevant.

Do you know Andy Pitts' work (with others) on Nominal Sets? The
category of nominal sets is a sheaf topos (the "Schanuel topos", it
is actually Boolean). Andy has done some domain theory in nominal
sets to model a language with dynamic allocation of fresh names,
FreshML.

Fixing an infinite set of "atoms" A, then the category of nominal
sets is a subcategory of the category of actions of the symmetric
group on A (see reference for full definition). The set of atoms has
itself a natural group action. The finite powerset of the nominal set
of atoms, ordered by inclusion, is chain complete, but not directed
complete. Any chain of finite sets can only have finite support, and
is thus necessarily finite. But the full finite powerset is itself
directed, without an upper bound.

I hope that is of some help. Best regards, Sam.

Reference: Section 3 of On a Monadic Semantics for Freshness, M. R.
Shinwell and A. M. Pitts, Theoretical Computer Science 342, 2005.
Available from Andy Pitts' web page. NB "nominal sets" are there
called "FM-sets".

The example I mention appears in Mark Shinwell's PhD thesis, The
Fresh Approach: functional programming with names and binders. http://
www.cl.cam.ac.uk/techreports/UCAM-CL-TR-618.html.

@ 2009-07-28  4:06 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2009-07-28  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 05:05:59 PM EDT, Andrej Bauer <andrej.bauer@andrej.com>
asked:

> So what does a chain-complete poset which isn't complete look like?

Take the product of any nonempty discrete poset X with the ordinal 2.
Give Xx2 the "product order" ((x, a) </= (y, b) iff x=y and a </= b).
The only non-singleton nonempty chains are the subsets {x} x 2 .
Clearly each of these is complete, Xx2 is chain-complete, and yet
Xx2 is not at all complete -- not even a semilattice either way.

HTH. Cheers, -- Fred

* Sheaf toposes and chain-complete posets
@ 2009-07-27 12:45 Andrej Bauer