categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Reference on coverages
@ 2009-08-21 21:44 Prof. Peter Johnstone
From: Prof. Peter Johnstone @ 2009-08-21 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bas Spitters, categories

Insofar as this is a well-posed question, the answer seems to me to be
in Proposition C1.3.15 of the Elephant. (It isn't well-posed because
the subobject classifier of any topos is an object of the topos, not
something external to it.)

Peter Johnstone
---------------
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009, Bas Spitters wrote:

> The following is well-known:
> Given a posite we can construct the corresponding locale and the corresponding
> Grothendieck topos.
> Theorem: The locale is the subobject classifier of the topos.
>
> However, I fail to find a reference for this fact.
>
> Please help.
>
> Bas

* Re: Reference on coverages
@ 2009-08-21 19:32 Steve Vickers
From: Steve Vickers @ 2009-08-21 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bas Spitters, categories

Dear Bas,

I'm fairly sure this is in Joyal and Tierney (though I haven't got it
in front of me). I admit I couldn't find it in a quick look through
the Elephant. If I'm wrong about Joyal and Tierney then perhaps it's
in "Topos Theory".

If f: E -> F is a localic geometric morphism, then it is described by
f_*(Omega_E), an internal frame in F. E is the category of internal
sheaves in F for this frame. (More generally, f_*(Omega_E) is used in
constructing the hyperconnected-localic factorization of f.)

In the case where F is Sets and E is localic, then f_*(X) is the set
of global elements of any object X of E. Hence the external frame is
the set of global elements of the subobject classifier of E.

Regards,

Steve.

On 20 Aug 2009, at 21:10, Bas Spitters wrote:

> The following is well-known:
> Given a posite we can construct the corresponding locale and the
> corresponding
> Grothendieck topos.
> Theorem: The locale is the subobject classifier of the topos.
>
> However, I fail to find a reference for this fact.
>
> Please help.
>
> Bas

* Reference on coverages
@ 2009-08-20 20:10 Bas Spitters