categories - Category Theory list
* Re Categories_and_linguistic?
@ 2009-09-11 16:24 Bob Coecke
From: Bob Coecke @ 2009-09-11 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

There is some recent work that builds further on Lambek's pregroups
and crucially relies on the categorical structure to assign meaning
to sentences:

A Compositional Distributional Model of Meaning
Stephen Clark, Bob Coecke, Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh
http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~mehrs/AAAI_2008.pdf

Bell States and Negative Sentences in the Distributed Model of Meaning
Anne Preller, Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh
http://hal-lirmm.ccsd.cnrs.fr/docs/00/37/50/37/PDF/QPL09.pdf

Lambek himself had in the past emphasized similarities between sentence
structure and the uses of monoidal categories in physics, ...

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009, John Baez wrote:

> Pierre Cardscia wrote:
>
> it seemed, but I'm not sure, that the Montreal school worked on that subject
>> in the past, but this information is unconfirmed ...
>
> Joachim (= Jim) Lambek, at McGill University, has studied linguistics using
> category theory.  You could start here:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?&q=lambek+linguistics
>
> http://wwwhomes.uni-bielefeld.de/gjaeger/lehre/cg_ss00/lambek/lambek58.html
>
> Best,
>
> jb

only message in thread, other threads:[~2009-09-11 16:24 UTC | newest]