categories - Category Theory list
* Re: categories and linguistic?
@ 2009-09-11 16:24 Robert Seely
From: Robert Seely @ 2009-09-11 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Baez, categories

Looking at Jim's work is definitely the basis for this subject - an
easy intro is the (unofficial Festschrift) volume

  Language and Grammar: Studies in Mathematical Linguistics and Natural
  Language (Claudia Casadio, Philip J. Scott, and Robert A.G. Seely,
  editors) (CSLI 2005)

  < http://cslipublications.stanford.edu/site/1575864886.shtml >

The introduction is available online:

   http://www.math.mcgill.ca/rags/lambek/CSS-IntroLambekProg.pdf

There are lots of references which can start you off ...

-= rags =-

--
<rags@math.mcgill.ca>
<www.math.mcgill.ca/rags>

* Re: categories and linguistic?
@ 2009-09-13 21:51 Vaughan Pratt
From: Vaughan Pratt @ 2009-09-13 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories

Charles Wells wrote:
> Linguists use the word "category" to mean what computer scientists would
> call a variable symbol in a context-sensitive grammar.

My corpus callosum must be having a denial of service.  Since the
languages generated by context-sensitive languages coincide with those
accepted by linear-bounded automata, there must be some connection
between categories and linear-bounded automata.  What is it?

Vaughan Pratt

* Re: categories and linguistic?
@ 2009-09-12  1:33 Charles Wells
From: Charles Wells @ 2009-09-12  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Fourman, catbb

Linguists use the word "category" to mean what computer scientists would
call a variable symbol in a context-sensitive grammar.

Charles Wells

@ 2009-09-11 22:38 Michael Fourman
From: Michael Fourman @ 2009-09-11 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

@ 2009-09-11 17:45 soloviev
From: soloviev @ 2009-09-11 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Cardascia

Dear Pierre,

at ESSLLI'09 at Bordeaux it was said quite a lot about
categorical linguistics. I would suggest to have a look
at the site, you may also look for such names as Sylvain Salvati,
Philippe de Groote, Gerald Penn, and keywords abstract categorical grammars,
parsing with categorical grammars... By the way,
Sylvain told me that now there are uses for coherence
theorems from category theory in parsing.

Best regards,

Sergei Soloviev

@ 2009-09-11 16:48 Valeria de Paiva
From: Valeria de Paiva @ 2009-09-11 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Cardascia, categories

hi Pierre,

there's quite a bit of work on categories and linguistic, especially in
France. People to look for are
Christian Retore', Michael Moortgat. Claudia Casadio, Philippe de Groote,
Richard Moot, Francois Lamarche, to give you a small sample.
Start checking Christian's page, it's my suggestion.

Best regards,
Valeria de Paiva
http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~vdp/ <http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/%7Evdp/>