categories - Category Theory list
* Conditions for adjoints
@ 2009-10-24 19:51 robin
From: robin @ 2009-10-24 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

(Apologies to those who received the earlier type mashed version ...)

Jeremy Dawson and I were discusing whether one can express the conditions
for an adjoint without requiring functors ... this is what we came up
with:

There is an adjoint between two categories if and only if
there are object functions F and G (not functors) and
for each X in \X and Y in \Y there are functions:

#: \X(X,G(Y)) -> \Y(F(X),Y)  ---- sharp
@: \Y(F(X),Y) -> \X(X,G(Y))  ---- flat

between the homsets such that
(1) @(#(1)) = 1 and dually #(@(1)) = 1 (inverse on identities)
(2) @(1) @(#(1) #(f)) = f  and dually  #(@(g) @(1)) #(1) = g
(3) @(#(f @(1)) h k) = f @(h) @(#(1) k)
            and dually
        #(x y @(#(1) z)) = #(x @(1)) #(y) z.

I find it hard to believe that such conditions have not been recorded.
Does anyone have a reference or similar conditions which do not require
functors?

-robin

* Re: Conditions for adjoints
@ 2009-10-25  9:48 laurent.mehats
From: laurent.mehats @ 2009-10-25  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

robin@ucalgary.ca a écrit :
> (Apologies to those who received the earlier type mashed version ...)
>
> Jeremy Dawson and I were discusing whether one can express the conditions
> for an adjoint without requiring functors ... this is what we came up
> with:
>

> There is an adjoint between two categories if and only if
> there are object functions F and G (not functors) and
> for each X in \X and Y in \Y there are functions:
>
> #: \X(X,G(Y)) -> \Y(F(X),Y)  ---- sharp
> @: \Y(F(X),Y) -> \X(X,G(Y))  ---- flat
>
> between the homsets such that
> (1) @(#(1)) = 1 and dually #(@(1)) = 1 (inverse on identities)
> (2) @(1) @(#(1) #(f)) = f  and dually  #(@(g) @(1)) #(1) = g
> (3) @(#(f @(1)) h k) = f @(h) @(#(1) k)
>             and dually
>         #(x y @(#(1) z)) = #(x @(1)) #(y) z.
>
> I find it hard to believe that such conditions have not been recorded.
> Does anyone have a reference or similar conditions which do not require
> functors?
>
> -robin

Hello,

Such conditions are discussed in detail in:
Kosta Došen, Cut Elimination in Categories, Trends in Logic 6, Kluwer, 1999.

Those you mention already appear on p. 258 of:
Kosta Došen, Deductive Completeness, Bull. Symbolic Logic Volume 2, Number
3 (1996), 243-283.
(http://www.math.ucla.edu/~asl/bsl/0203/0203-001.ps).

Regards,
Laurent Méhats