categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Question on exact sequence
@ 2009-11-11 11:05 Steve Lack
From: Steve Lack @ 2009-11-11 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Barr, categories

Dear Michael,

I worked out what exactly Vitale's exactness condition says in this case.
A commutative diagram

   i'    p'
 A'-->B' --> C'
f|   g|     h|
 v    v      v
 A --> B --> C
   i     p

induces a long exact sequence in the way you suggested, when there is
a morphism z:A-->C' for which the induced

0--> A' --> A+B' --> B+C'-->C-->0

is exact.

Steve.

@ 2009-11-11 16:36 ` George Janelidze
       [not found]   ` <E258C2F0-8620-4CD8-8011-B544D44C95BD@dima.unige.it>
From: George Janelidze @ 2009-11-11 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear All,

As I understand, my previous message was written after Marco's and Steve's
messages, although I saw them only afterwards. Unfortunately I don't have
time now, but putting these things together would be very interesting.
Specifically:

1. Marco vs Steve: Marco's result contains what Michael is mentioning
(=Exercise VIII.4.6 in Mac Lane's book) plus Snake Lemma, but does it
contain what Steve describes as Enrico's result?

2. Marco vs George: And do you, Marco, have a canonical connecting morphism?

3. Steve vs George: Do you, Steve - hence Enrico - have a canonical
connecting morphism depending on what you call z : A ---> C' in your (Steve)
message?

George

* Re: Question on exact sequence (by G.J.)
       [not found]     ` <027601ca62f9$ace359c0$0b00000a@C3>
@ 2009-11-12  8:12       ` Marco Grandis
From: Marco Grandis @ 2009-11-12  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Janelidze, categories

Dear George,

I receive now your question.

> The Barr's case (=Exercise VIII.4.6 in Mac Lane's book) and the
> Snake Lemma
> seem to have very different canonical connecting morphisms; how
> does your
> (beautiful!) general theorem solve this problem?

All these connecting morphisms are canonically induced on
subquotients, there is
no need of using relations (even though you can, in both cases: a
subquotient
is the same as a subobject in the cat. of relations, and induced
morphisms can
always be computed that way: this is already in Mac Lane's Homology.)

In the Snake Lemma, with Barr's notation:

- Ker h  is a subquotient of  B  (being a subobject of  C),
- Cok f  is a subquotient of  B'  (being a quotient of  A'),
- the connecting morphism is induced by  g: B --> B'.

In the other lemma (Mac Lane, Barr),  Ker h  and  Cok h  are both
subquotients
of the middle object, and the (obvious) connecting morphism is
(trivially) induced
by the identity of the latter.

Subquotients are characterised by a pullback-pushout square
with two monos and two epis (in abelian categories;
more generally in the Puppe-exact ones; more generally in
'my' homological categories, where you do not have relations).
'Regular' induction just means that there is a commutative cube
from the first square to the second.

Best wishes    Marco