categories - Category Theory list
* categorical "varieties of algebras" (fwd)
@ 2009-12-13 21:46 Michael Barr
From: Michael Barr @ 2009-12-13 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list, chirvasitua

I am forwarding this to the categories list, where I am sure there will be
many answers, but I have never myself delved into these interesting
questions.  Please be sure to copy your answers to him (although he should
probably subscribe to the list).

--M

From: Steve Vickers @ 2009-12-14 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chirvasitua, categories

Dear Alexandru,

I would recommend the paper "Partial Horn logic and cartesian
categories" that I wrote with Eric Palmgren (Annals of Pure and Applied
Logic 145 (3) (2007), pp. 314 - 353; doi:10.1016/j.apal.2006.10.001).

Free categories of various kinds usually do exist, an idea that comes
out well in Higgins's 1971 "Notes on categories and groupoids" (now
reissued as a TAC reprint).

The underlying machinery, again recognized for a long time, relies on
the notion of left exact theories, alias finite limit theories,
cartesian theories or essentially algebraic theories. In the formulation
as an essentially algebraic theory, the operators may be partial but
their domains of definition can be expressed in terms of equations using
operators defined "earlier" (i.e. there is an ordering on the
operators). For categories, the core example is composition, which is
partial and defined when an equation holds between the domain of one
morphism and the codomain of the other. But the same phenomenon arises,
for example, when adding morphisms in an Abelian enriched category or
composing 2-cells in a 2-category.

The fundamental result for left exact theories is that a forgetful
functor, from a category of algebras for one theory to that for another
with fewer operators (or fewer equations, for that matter), has a left
adjoint.

I believe the result is covered in chapter 4 Barr and Wells' "Toposes,
Triples and Theories", or at least is inferrable from Kennison's Theorem
 as stated there.

Palmgren and I proved the fundamental freeness result (our Theorem 29,
Free Partial Model Theorem) in a way that makes much clearer the
connection with the well known result for algebraic theories. (For
algebraic theories, with all operators total, you just take a term model
and factor out a congruence.) We used a logic, minimally adapted from
the standard account of categorical logic as in the Elephant, in which
terms are only partially defined. We also described a simple
"quasi-equational" mode of theory presentation equivalent to left exact
theories. The proof is then very similar to the algebraic case, taking a
partial term model and factoring out a partial congruence. It is also
more elementary than that in TTT.

I hope this will answer your question in most cases.

Strictness is an issue, as you mention. Our treatment is very syntactic
in nature, and expects strictness of homomorphisms. However, we do have
techniques that allow this to be relaxed - see our Theorem 56.

We also give various examples from category theory, as well as
discussing some of the history of the result.

Regards,

Steve Vickers.

Michael Barr wrote:
> From: Alexandru Chirvasitu <chirvasitua@gmail.com>
>
> Dear Prof. Barr,

> Unfortunately, I couldn't find any results stating clearly (clearly for
> someone who is perhaps not *too* familiar with the higher categorical
> machinery) that such free categories always exist. Of course, the few
> constructions I needed can easily be done by hand, but what I had in mind
> was some kind of higher categorical analogue of the fact that the forgetful
> functor from a variety of algebras to another variety of algebras with
> "fewer operations" has a left adjoint.

* Re: A well kept secret
@ 2009-12-14 19:52 ` Dusko Pavlovic
From: Dusko Pavlovic @ 2009-12-14 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

i am wondering why is the public image of category theory so important for
us.

i mean, if category theory is a powerful and useful tool, as it is, then
it should be able to take care for itself. bread does not need
advertising.

i have been with categories for many years. i think in categories, and i
used them in each and every one of my research projects, in every piece of
software that i designed, in every paper that i wrote. but sometimes it is
easier to get to the point without spelling out all definitions in full
generality. and without tackling the opprobium.

e.g., i worked on networks, and have papers about trust networks, and
reputation networks, and recommender systems. a network is a weighted
graph, and it composes to some extent, because a friend of a friend is
almost like a friend, but a friend of a friend of a friend etc, six hops
removed --- is probably not a friend. but you can do with networks a lot
of what you can do with categories: make arrow networks, adjoin
colimits... anyway, i defined all that, and mentioned categories, but did
not really advertise them. was that a mistake? maybe it wasn't such a good
work, and i would have done a disservice to category theory by advertising
it in a bad paper.

i have been using categories in my little crypto modules, and in serious
reduction proofs, for more than 5 years (cryptography is a theory of
functions after all!), but i first gave a crypto talk using categories
last week. and this was not a talk to hard-core cryptographers.

i think category theory sometimes suffers from our advertising. even in a
good paper, advertising is advertising. there are places for that, and
there are places where it is better not to do.

i do understand that we need to take care for the public image of our
work. funding depends on that, hiring depends on that. but maybe we should
clearly state that this is a matter of advocacy and of influence, and not
mix it up with Promoting the Truth. i somehow think that the truth can
take care for itself.

but as always, maybe i am wrong.

-- dusko