categories - Category Theory list
* Between Cape Town and Genova
@ 2009-12-31 18:57 George Janelidze
From: George Janelidze @ 2009-12-31 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear Colleagues,

The Cape Town Year is about to end and the Genova Year is about to begin...

So, please look at http://ct2009.info/ and at http://ct2010.disi.unige.it/

The website http://ct2009.info/ is now updated and has abstracts of the
talks in it. In particular I am asking the participants of CT2009 to look at
their abstracts and send me any corrections by email please.

Please also look at photos, and send me a replacement if you do not like
your photo (or just tell me that you do not like it, and we shall decide
something together). In some cases this is obvious: sorry to say, we could
not take all photos during talks and used the excursion photos not all of
which are sufficiently good.

We do not have many big CT Conferences Proceedings Volumes in recent years -
only a few, although there were also several good Special Volumes dedicated
to our colleagues. And I was not sure about CT2009.

I would like to report to you that I received "NO" from "Lecture Notes in
Mathematics" and from "Journal of Algebra". It was nicely formulated NO's
but it feels sad: the reason from LNM was "...About 15 years ago, we stopped
publishing conference proceedings volumes in the Lecture Notes in
Mathematics series. We found that, even when they were very well edited, the
response to such books in terms of sales, etc. was rather low, and they were
rated as second priority for acquisition in libraries, for instance. Thus
they were hardly a viable proposition for us anymore....", while the reason
from JA was "...not only is it quite unusual for us to publish Proceedings
(unless agreed in advance, on a subject in the heart of the editorial board,
and with a special editorial board built a priori), but the Journal of
Algebra has already much too many submissions to consider extending its
field to Category theory...".

But, in spite of all problems, soon or late - and better soon that late -
the Golden Age of CT1990 should come back (should not it?) and, also having
in mind beautiful mathematical results presented at CT2009, we are
considering a possibility of the joint CT2009+CT2010 Proceedings Volume. The
organizers of CT2010 will surely tell us more about that soon.

George Janelidze

only message in thread, other threads:[~2009-12-31 18:57 UTC | newest]