categories - Category Theory list
* dagger, involutive and pivotal categories
@ 2010-01-12 10:13 Clemens.BERGER
From: Clemens.BERGER @ 2010-01-12 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear all,

   this message continues the discussion about the "evil" aspect of the
definition of a dagger category. In part I would like to give some
support to Dusko Pavlovic's message and also stress the relationship
with another concept (that of a pivotal, aka sovereign category).

  Call a functor (-)^*:E->E^{op} an *involution* of E if (-)^* is
faithful and self-adjoint. The latter means that there is a binatural
bijection between maps A->B^* and B->A^* for all objects A,B of E. The
unit (and counit) of this adjunction is a natural transformation
i_A:A->A^** which is supposed to be monic in E by faithfulness of (-)^*,
and which fulfills the triangular identity id_{A^*}=(i_A)^*i_(A^*) by
self-adjointness of (-)^*.

  Call a category E *involutive *if E comes equipped with an involution
(-)^*:E-> E^{op}. Involutions may be transported along adjoint
equivalences. Now, to any involutive category (E,(-)^*) is naturally
associated a dagger category, which I shall call the *dagger core* of
(E,(-)^*). Namely, the objects of the dagger core are pairs (A,\phi_A)
consisting of an object A of E together with an isomorphism
\phi_A:A->A^* which is invariant under the self-adjunction (i.e.
phi_A=(phi_A)^*i_A). The morphisms f: (A,\phi_A)->(B,\phi_B) are simply
the morphisms A->B in E. The dagger operation on the dagger core is
given by f^{dagger}=phi_A^{-1}f^*\phi_B.

Equivalent involutive categories have dagger-equivalent dagger-cores.
What I am trying to say is that involutive categories are "large"
objects (in Bob Paré's terminology) giving rise (among others) to
"small'' objects such as dagger categories (in which it isn't "evil" to
speak about "equality" of objects).

In order to get the dagger-category of Hilbert spaces and continuous
maps, one has to start with the involutive category of Banach spaces and
continuous (i.e. bounded) maps. Over the reals, the involution is given
by the continuous dual; over the complex numbers however, the involution
is given by homming into C equipped with the complex-conjugate C-action.

Let me briefly discuss two possible strengthenings of the notion of
involutive category (relevant to quantum algebra). Call a category E
*closed involutive* if  E is at once closed monoidal and involutive in
such a way that the involution (-)^*:E->E^{op} is given by homming into
the unit of the monoidal structure. Define the *core *of a closed
involutive category to be the full subcategory spanned by the dualizable
objects A (i.e. those for which i_A:A->A^** is an isomorphism). Then the
core is again closed involutive, and is actually a pivotal category.
Indeed, pivotal categories are precisely closed involutive categories in
which all objects are dualizable. I guess that most of the pivotal
categories occuring in nature are cores of "large" closed involutive
categories. This is at least the case when Tannaka-reconstruction applies.

Finally, call a category E *star-involutive* if E is at once closed
monoidal and involutive in such a way that the involution is given by
homming into a "dualising" object D. The only thing we require is that
i_D:D->D^** be an isomorphism. Then the core of a star-involutive
category (spanned by the dualizable objects) is again star-involutive.

In analogy with above, a star-involutive category in which all objects
are dualizable, could be called *star-pivotal*; star-pivotal categories
bear the same relationship to pivotal categories as Michael Barr's
star-autonomous categories bear to autonomous categories.

All the best,
                    Clemens.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2010-01-12 10:13 UTC | newest]