categories - Category Theory list
* Question about coalgebras
@ 2010-02-10 18:49 Steve Stevenson
From: Steve Stevenson @ 2010-02-10 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories List

I was reading Rutten's "Universal coalgebra: a theory of
systems" [Theoretical Computer Science 249 (2000) 3-80]. He defines an
F-coalgebra or F-system as a pair (S, \alpha_S) where S is a set and
\alpha_S: S \rightarrow F(S). But F is free, so where does F come from?

An obvious answer would be to redefine F-system as (S,\alpha_S,F).
But then the idea came to me that algebras=datatypes and
coalgebras=dynamics and therefore a system (really general system)
should be the pair (algebra,coalgebra)? Where am I going wrong?

--

Dr. D. E. Stevenson, School of Computer Science
315 McAdams Hall, Clemson University

Be Well. Do Good Works. Stay in Touch. Garrison Keillor

only message in thread, other threads:[~2010-02-10 18:49 UTC | newest]