categories - Category Theory list
* Re: "injective" terminology
@ 2010-05-19  7:44 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2010-05-19  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Barr, Categories list

On Tue, 18 May 2010 07:08:42 PM EDT, Michael Barr <barr@math.mcgill.ca>
wrote:

> ... There are too many contexts in which you
> have a concrete category (say of compact hausdorff spaces) in which you
> are dealing with both injective objects and 1-1 maps that I feel we need a
> better word for the latter than "injective".  Of course, I could just
> revert to 1-1 and perhaps I will.  But we have "projective" and
> "surjective" for the dual.  This suggests "superjective", except that
> that is so ugly.
>
> Any thoughts?

Mon[omorph]ic?

-- Fred

* Re: "injective" terminology
@ 2010-05-22 20:50 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2010-05-22 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

> The dual to this concept is unimaginatively called "coinductive".)

Causing the unwary or inexperienced to wonder either

(a) how "coin" entered the picture, or
(b) whether that's a typo for "conductive".

Cheers, -- Fred

* Re: "injective" terminology
       [not found]         ` <4BF7FCB1.70303@bangor.ac.uk>
@ 2010-05-22 17:08           ` Toby Bartels
From: Toby Bartels @ 2010-05-22 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy Porter

Timothy Porter wrote:

>I always thought that ind-object in the work of Grothendieck and the SGA
>seminars was short for inductive object.

The "ind-" in "ind-object" does stand for "inductive",
which is dual to "projective" for the "pro-" in "pro-object",
but an ind-object is not the same thing as an injective object
(and also a pro-object is not the same thing as a projective object).
http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/ind-object
http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/injective+object
http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/pro-object
http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/projective+object

--Toby

* Re: "injective" terminology
@ 2010-05-22 15:48         ` Timothy Porter
       [not found]         ` <4BF7FCB1.70303@bangor.ac.uk>
From: Timothy Porter @ 2010-05-22 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toby Bartels

I always thought that ind-object in the work of Grothendieck and the SGA
seminars was short for inductive object.

Tim

On 21/05/2010 18:35, Toby Bartels wrote:
> The term "projective limit" contrasts with "inductive limit",
> so I have sometimes felt like saying "inductive object".
>
> However, I've never actually done so; besides having no precedent,
> the term "inductive object" already has an established meaning:
> an inductive object is an initial algebra of a polynomial endofunctor.
> (Example: A natural-numbers object is an initial algebra of X + 1.
> The dual to this concept is unimaginatively called "coinductive".)
> This is used in logic and computer science.
>

> --Toby

* Re: "injective" terminology
@ 2010-05-21 16:35       ` Toby Bartels
       [not found]         ` <4BF7FCB1.70303@bangor.ac.uk>
From: Toby Bartels @ 2010-05-21 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

       [not found] ` <004b01caf868$759d49d0$0b00000a@C3>
@ 2010-05-20 22:27   ` Michael Barr
From: Michael Barr @ 2010-05-20 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Janelidze

I agree with everything George has said here.  Mac Lane's paper was
amazing and I meant no disrespect.

Michael

On Fri, 21 May 2010, George Janelidze wrote:

> What makes it worse, there are also "product projections" and "coproduct
> injections" that might be "non-surjective" and "non-injective"
> respectively...
>
> And, generally speaking, mathematics can contribute a lot to the discussion
> in e.g.
>
> http://home.alphalink.com.au/~umbidas/Homonyms_main.htm#cape
>
> I would like, however, to make a comment about "free" and "fascist" used by
> Saunders Mac Lane:
>
> I don't think Saunders had ever defined "a free object in a category" to
> mean "projective"; if I am wrong, please correct me. What he really did - in
> [S. Mac Lane, Duality for groups, Bull. AMS 56, 1950, 485-516] - was:
>
> (a) Theorem 1.1, which, expressed in the modern language, would say that an
> abelian group is free if and only if it is a projective object in the
> category of abelian groups.
>
> (b) Remark that the same result holds for free (nonabelian) groups (in the
> category of groups).
>
> (c) Then he defines "infinitely divisible" abelian groups and proves Theorem
> 1.1', which, expressed in the modern language, would say that an abelian
> group is ("infinitely") divisible if and only if it is an injective object
> in the category of abelian groups.
>
> (d) Then he discusses "duality" - very interesting, since it is one of the
> first clear suggestions to consider dual properties (although there is
> another paper he published in 1948). And, by the way, "onto" is also
> mentioned - not "surjection", while later (page 497) there are "injections"
> and "projections" with different meanings (reading there about what he calls
> a "bicategory" one should essentially think of a factorization system...).
>
> (e) Then in a footnote he says: "Call the dual (in this sense) of a free
> (nonabelian) group a fascist group. R. Baer has shown to me a proof of the
> elegant theorem: every fascist group consists only of the identity element."
>
> Well, it is clear that "fascist" was ironic, but how seriously would
> Saunders Mac Lane think of introducing "a free object in a category" 60
> years ago, I don't know...
>
> Finally - for those who had not seen "Duality for groups" - I must mention
> that a lot more of categorical algebra was invented there...
>
> George

* Re: "injective" terminology
@ 2010-05-20 22:04     ` George Janelidze

From: Michael Barr @ 2010-05-19  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prof. Peter Johnstone

On Wed, 19 May 2010, Prof. Peter Johnstone wrote:

> Like Michael, I've occasionally been bothered by the conflict between
> the two uses of "injective". However, for me it's the use of the word
> as a dual for "projective" that feels wrong; the opposite of "pro" is
> not "in" but "con" (or "contra"). Also, the use of "injective"
> and "surjective" for maps is so well established throughout
> mathematics that I don't think there is any chance of changing it.
> I've thought of using "coprojective" for the dual of "projective";
> but for anyone with a classical education that word means
> "shit-throwing".
>
> Peter Johnstone

* Re: "injective" terminology
@ 2010-05-19  9:27 ` Prof. Peter Johnstone
From: Prof. Peter Johnstone @ 2010-05-19  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Barr

----------------------
On Tue, 18 May 2010, Michael Barr wrote:

> Since there has been such a lively discussion of language (which I have
> kept out of because I have seen too many papers start out by saying, "By
> ring, we mean a commutative ring with unit"), I though I would bring up
> one that has long bothered me. There are too many contexts in which you
> have a concrete category (say of compact hausdorff spaces) in which you
> are dealing with both injective objects and 1-1 maps that I feel we need a
> better word for the latter than "injective".  Of course, I could just
> revert to 1-1 and perhaps I will.  But we have "projective" and
> "surjective" for the dual.  This suggests "superjective", except that
> that is so ugly.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Michael
>
> P.S. I originally used *-autonomous to mean symmetric and then I wrote a
> paper called, "Non-symmetric *-autonomous categories", so I am just as
> guilty.

* "injective" terminology
@ 2010-05-18 13:38 Michael Barr
                   ` (2 more replies)