categories - Category Theory list
* What else do simplicial sets classify?
@ 2010-07-31  7:55 Andrej Bauer
From: Andrej Bauer @ 2010-07-31  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories list

The presheaf category of simplicial sets is the classifying topos for
the theory L of a bounded linear order.

In general, there could be other theories which are "Morita
equivalent" to L in the sense that their classifying toposes are
equivalent to simplicial sets. Are any such known, preferably
occurring in nature?

With kind regards,

Andrej

* Re: What else do simplicial sets classify?
@ 2010-08-01 14:16 ` Prof. Peter Johnstone
From: Prof. Peter Johnstone @ 2010-08-01 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrej Bauer; +Cc: categories list

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010, Andrej Bauer wrote:

> The presheaf category of simplicial sets is the classifying topos for
> the theory L of a bounded linear order.
>
> In general, there could be other theories which are "Morita
> equivalent" to L in the sense that their classifying toposes are
> equivalent to simplicial sets. Are any such known, preferably
> occurring in nature?
>
> With kind regards,
>
> Andrej

Of course you can write down different presentations for the theory
classified by simplicial sets; any set of generators for the topos
will give you one. But you're unlikely to find anything familiar: if
there were a geometric theory "occurring in nature" whose category of
models (in any topos) was equivalent to the category of bounded linear
orders, that equivalence would almost certainly be well known.

Peter Johnstone

* What else do simplicial sets classify?
@ 2010-08-01 17:14 ` Joyal, André
From: Joyal, André @ 2010-08-01 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrej Bauer, categories list

Dear Andrej,

I do not know what you mean by a bounded linear order.

But I know that the topos of simplicial sets
is classifying strict intervals.

(an interval [a,b] is strict if its endpoint a and b are different)

  bounded linear orders = strict intervals?

Best,
André

The presheaf category of simplicial sets is the classifying topos for
the theory L of a bounded linear order.

In general, there could be other theories which are "Morita
equivalent" to L in the sense that their classifying toposes are
equivalent to simplicial sets. Are any such known, preferably
occurring in nature?

With kind regards,

Andrej

* "etirement morphique"
@ 2010-08-08 12:11   ` soloviev
From: soloviev @ 2010-08-08 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear colleagues,

who knows how to translate into English "etirement morphique"
and "prolixe" used by Penon, Kachour ("Cahiers de topologie...")?

All the best

Sergei Soloviev

* diagrams in computer algebra
@ 2011-10-02 21:10   ` Sergei SOLOVIEV
From: Sergei SOLOVIEV @ 2011-10-02 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Question to the list:

I am very much interested, does there exist any practically usable
system for the "computer algebra style" work with diagrams. I.e. not
just write down the diagrams (like XyPic) but for example for
diagram chasing,
verification of commutativity in any interesting classes of categories
with structure etc. As I remember there were some systems permitting
computation of some limits in very limited classes of categories,
also some heavy attempts of formalisation in some general
purpose proof assistants
but I do not know about anything else.

Regards to all

Sergei Soloviev

* Re: diagrams in computer algebra
@ 2011-10-03 18:02     ` Michael J Healy
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Michael J Healy @ 2011-10-03 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Sergei,

My colleagues and I have been looking for something like this for a project.  We need to be able to specify small categories as the completions of finite graphs we are given, extend these by specifying commutative diagrams, pullbacks, etc, of interest, then define functors generated from graph homomorphisms, and take colimits of diagrams in Cat, etc etc.  We haven't found anything that does all this.  So, we're programming it in Haskell---one of our grad students knows the language.   We'll be happy to share our experience and will probably make the code available.  It's a work in progress.

Best regards,
Mike Healy

@ 2011-10-04 16:04       ` Eduardo J. Dubuc
       [not found]       ` <CA+0XtC_e0MsZ_a6WYPCWO=FPH15ULwa_9Lcv+zduJaK8HtKSPA@mail.gmail.com>
       [not found]       ` <CA+0XtC_Soy9nyC=OLaSi88WHow_vKxQ+=aCadA2RyrAD+WNUyw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Eduardo J. Dubuc @ 2011-10-04 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael J Healy, categories

I paste and copy some old posting to this list that I have kept. It
seems to me that they are relevant for your discussion.

e.d.

@ 2011-10-12 21:47         ` Michael J Healy
From: Michael J Healy @ 2011-10-12 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vasili I. Galchin; +Cc: categories, soloviev

Vasili,

Yes, I mean small.  All but FinSet (an appropriate version of it, anyway---certain functors into which are models, i.e.data respositories) are generated from finite graphs, through categorical completion elaborated with specified commutative diagrams, pullbacks, etc.

Regards,
Mike

@ 2011-10-12 21:53         ` Michael J Healy
From: Michael J Healy @ 2011-10-12 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vasili I. Galchin; +Cc: categories, soloviev

Vasili,

Certainly---we'll be happy to do this for anybody who is interested.  Looks like I need to start a list.

I might mention again that we're leaning heavily on the work of Johnson and Rosebrugh.  Just for the record, though, any problems with anything we generate are strictly our own doing.  We're having to translate  adjunctions into software methods for generating the functors we need, and then the colimit theorem into software so we can generate ontologies as colimits in Cat.

Regards again,
Mike