categories - Category Theory list
* source, sinks, and ?
@ 2011-01-02 23:26 Michael Shulman
From: Michael Shulman @ 2011-01-02 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

A family of morphisms { x_i --> y }_{i \in I} in some category, all
with the same codomain, is called a "sink" or a "cocone".  A family {
x --> y_j }_{j \in J} all with the same domain is called a "source" or
a "cone".  Is there a name for a family of the form { x_i --> y_j }_{i
\in I, j \in J} ?  A cylinder?  Or a frustrum (since I \neq J)?

Mike

* Re: source, sinks, and ?
@ 2011-01-03 22:40 ` burroni
From: burroni @ 2011-01-03 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Shulman; +Cc: categories

Dear Mike,

In fact, we can call it a matrix (of (I x J)- type)  with coefficients
in the category. When the category is a category of modules, we have
that way a natural generalization of classical matrices.

Cheers,
Albert

Michael Shulman <mshulman@ucsd.edu> a écrit :

> A family of morphisms { x_i --> y }_{i \in I} in some category, all
> with the same codomain, is called a "sink" or a "cocone".  A family {
> x --> y_j }_{j \in J} all with the same domain is called a "source" or
> a "cone".  Is there a name for a family of the form { x_i --> y_j }_{i
> \in I, j \in J} ?  A cylinder?  Or a frustrum (since I \neq J)?
>
> Mike

* Re: Re: source, sinks, and ?
@ 2011-01-04  8:41   ` JeanBenabou
From: JeanBenabou @ 2011-01-04  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Albert Burroni, Categories

Dear Albert,

I "half agree" with you. The term "matrix" has been used by by Freyd-
Scedrov in their allegories, by myself in my paper on distributors,
and probably by many other persons.
However in both cases the situation was such that one could define
the "product" of two matrixes and get an allegory or more generally a
bi-category, and I suggest it should be restricted to such cases. In
the general situation where the product is not defined, I suggest the
word "array" (with entries in C, if we want to specify C)

Bonnne Année,
Jean

Le 3 janv. 11 à 23:40, burroni@math.jussieu.fr a écrit :

> Dear Mike,
>
> In fact, we can call it a matrix (of (I x J)- type)  with
> coefficients in the category. When the category is a category of
> modules, we have that way a natural generalization of classical
> matrices.
>
> Cheers,
> Albert

* Re: source, sinks, and ?
@ 2011-02-04 18:48 ` Tom Prince
From: Tom Prince @ 2011-02-04 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Shulman, categories

On 2011-01-02, Michael Shulman wrote:
> A family of morphisms { x_i --> y }_{i \in I} in some category, all
> with the same codomain, is called a "sink" or a "cocone".  A family {
> x --> y_j }_{j \in J} all with the same domain is called a "source" or
> a "cone".  Is there a name for a family of the form { x_i --> y_j }_{i
> \in I, j \in J} ?  A cylinder?  Or a frustrum (since I \neq J)?
>
> Mike

A join?

   Tom